Nov 6, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Mistrial in case of Hampton man charged with sexually assaulting 3 children
During the second day of testimony in Rockingham County Superior Court, a mistrial was declared in the sexual-assault case against Leonard Aldrich, 64, of Hampton. JAMES A. KIMBLE
Leonard Aldrich, 64, will remain behind bars at the Rockingham County jail while lawyers prepare for a new trial. Aldrich has been in custody since his arrest Jan. 29, 2012. He is accused of sexually assaulting two young girls and a boy, now age 7, between December 2010 and January 2012.
The new information about the records was discovered shortly before noon Wednesday during the second day of trial when two witnesses offered contradictory testimony, according to Judge Marguerite Wageling. Prosecutors argue that the girl's mother walked in on Aldrich as he was sexually assaulting the two girls - ages 6 and 2 - and promptly reported the matter to police. The mother testified she was alone at the time, but the boy testified earlier he was with his mother during the incident and provided details to the jury.
"She was clear in her testimony that she was not with (him)," Wageling said.
Police reports about the incident made no mention of the boy. Defense lawyer Patrick Fleming argued for a mistrial, which was initially denied by the judge. The contradiction in testimony prompted a discussion between Wageling and the lawyers during a break in the trial. A DCYF worker overheard that conversation and recalled a conversation she had with the mother on the same topic, revealing that there may be a record of it that was not previously handed over prior to the trial, Wageling said.
Such a record, or records - however minor they might be - could be used by the defense to impeach a witness, according to the judge.
Prior to the trial, Wageling said she reviewed scores of DCYF records to provide to the prosecution and defense as they prepared for trial. She said obtaining records from the state agency proved to be troublesome early on in the case.
"We had some difficultly with that issue earlier," she said. "The court will make every effort to get to the bottom of it."
No new trial date has been set. Lawyers will meet with Wageling March 29.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Judge OKs early release for former teacher convicted of possessing child porn - 0
- Nashua man indicted for allegedly shooting girlfriend - 0
- Manchester 7-Eleven robbed for fourth time - 0
- Manchester couple faces robbery, theft charges after Salem mall incident - 1
- Chainsaw-wielding man facing multiple charges over Sept. incident - 0
- Woman faces assault charge after Monopoly game gets out of hand - 17
- Plea deal gives shooter 15-30 years in 2012 death of Manchester man - 0
- Missouri governor urges calm ahead of grand jury decision on shooting; findings to be announced at 9 p.m. - 0
- Two Manchester brothers indicted in Nashua drive-by shooting - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs Scouting Report: Nick Shore - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 4
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 5
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 1
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 10
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483