Home » News » Public Safety
Manchester officers rescue suicidal woman in Merrimack River
The 20-year-old woman, who was immersed up to her chest in the river at Arms Park, appeared to be suffering hypothermia when Officers Mike Dunlap and Rick Valenti arrived about 2 p.m. after someone called 911, police said.
The officers threw a "rescue disc" to the woman, but she was unable to grab onto it. Concerned she could be swept away in the swift current, the officers decided to go into the river and get her.
Police brought the woman safely to shore. Her body temperature had dropped and she was taken by ambulance to an area hospital for further treatment and evaluation.
Neither officer was injured.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Police: Body found in Portsmouth creek not missing UNH student - 0
- Hooksett officer struck by motorist - 2
- UPDATE: Thornton woman dies after being struck by car in Campton - 0
- UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor - 1
- Fire destroys South Hampton barn - 0
- Police investigating why Maine woman died in Somersworth apartment - 0
- Body found floating in Portsmouth - 0
- Spofford crash seriously injures two - 0
- Fire destroys barn in South Hampton - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Task force arrests man in Nottingham for Candia burglary - 0
- Police: Salem man used car keys to stab officer in hand - 0
- Manchester muffler shop burglarized - 0
- Boy, 12, struck in Newton remains hospitalized - 0
- State revenue under projections for November - 0
- Armed man arrested after Manchester convenience store robbery - 0
- Store cashier in Littleton refuses to give up the cash to robber - 0
- Convicted drug dealer arrested in Nashua on more drug charges - 0
- Former Plaistow finance director charged with theft - 0
UPDATE: Could be 'months' before deciding on charges in crash involving Dover city councilor
What Congress? Obama's 'easy way out'
Boy wounded by bullet was to be released
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072