Home » Opinion » Editorials
70 mph to Canada: Press the gas
Statistically, it turns out that the sensation is justified. On highways, most people will travel the speed that feels most safe and comfortable, regardless of the posted speed limit. If the posted limit is significantly lower than the average speed, then the limit itself actually decreases public safety by creating a dangerous differential in speed. Those differentials can be more dangerous than speed itself, depending on the highway.
Interstate 93 above Concord is one of those highways on which the 65 mph speed limit does not make people safer. Today the House considers House Bill 146, which would raise the speed limit on I-93 to 70 mph from Canterbury to Canada (except for the stretch through Franconia Notch, which would remain the same).
This bill will not decrease public safety (most people drive faster than 65 mph anyway), and it might just increase tourism. Passing it will reduce dangerous passings on the highway. Legislators should do it.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ignoring Lyme: What are state, towns doing? - 2
- Sentence fragment: Coco's cuckoo release - 2
- Ban fireworks? Get serious - 12
- Praising freedom: While curtailing it - 16
- Fergus Cullen: No politics buffer zone - some want issue unsettled - 7
- The perfect winner: Mrs. Craig gives when she receives - 0
- A sacred rite denied: Partial justice in Marriott murder - 0
- Casino tax breaks: Bad news for Gov. Hassan - 4
- A medal well earned: Ryan M. Pitts is a hero - 3
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Portland Sea Dogs get past NH Fisher Cats in righty’s first AA start of season - 0
- Keene Swamp Bats edge Sanford in NECBL action - 0
- Manchester's Hanover St. block party kicks off block party season - 0
- Little, MacDonald 1-2 in wild K&N 100 in Loudon - 0
- Kyle Busch focused leading up to Camping World RV Sales 301 - 0
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Hosts hoping for extended Little League district final - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much?
Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long
Bikers say under-30 generation isn't interested, and can't afford many of the top motorcycles