All New England Jazz Festival? at PSU on Tuesday
The Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance at Plymouth State University will host the annual All New England Jazz Festival for high school students Tuesday, March 12, at the Silver Center for the Arts.
Students in grades 10-12 from 17 schools across the six New England States will participate in a day-long program of jazz workshops and rehearsals, concluding with a 5 p.m. concert in Hanaway Theatre directed by Festival Conductor Graham Breedlove.
Breedlove, a member of the U.S. Army Blues jazz ensemble, a part of The United States Army Band, "Pershing's Own," has performed on four continents in more than 20 countries, with headliners representing more than 100 Grammy nominations. To promote jazz, Breedlove has presented clinics, masterclasses and appeared as a guest soloist at colleges and universities across the country. He also volunteered to participate in a USO concert tour of Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan. Breedlove serves on the faculties of Towson University, Catholic University and the National Jazz Workshop.
The guest conductor will work with the select high school ensemble and will solo with the PSU Jazz Ensemble during the concert. Some of the music being performed was composed by Breedlove. Professor Mark Stickney, PSU director of bands, directs the PSU Jazz Ensemble. The PSU Jazz Workshop, directed by professor Rik Pfenninger, PSU coordinator of jazz studies and music technology, also will perform.
Tickets for the concert are available at the box office at 535-2787 or (800) 779-3869, and online at silver.plymouth.edu.
Arts & Entertainment
READER COMMENTS: 0
- John Harrigan: Growing up in the wilds of the North Country - 0
- The Nashua Senior Softball League is the 'senior' circuit - 0
- Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester - 0
- Things to know for the holiday, from region to region - 0
- State puts out call for foster parents - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: With ground rules, cats and dogs can live together at lake house - 0
- Dave Anderson's Forest Journal: Evidence abounds that spring is bruins season - 0
- Sweet Neem offers a social gathering for foodies - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Flounder fishing is best in Boston - 0
Fireworks, parade slated in Manchester
State puts out call for foster parents
Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: With ground rules, cats and dogs can live together at lake house