All New England Jazz Festival? at PSU on Tuesday
The Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance at Plymouth State University will host the annual All New England Jazz Festival for high school students Tuesday, March 12, at the Silver Center for the Arts.
Students in grades 10-12 from 17 schools across the six New England States will participate in a day-long program of jazz workshops and rehearsals, concluding with a 5 p.m. concert in Hanaway Theatre directed by Festival Conductor Graham Breedlove.
Breedlove, a member of the U.S. Army Blues jazz ensemble, a part of The United States Army Band, "Pershing's Own," has performed on four continents in more than 20 countries, with headliners representing more than 100 Grammy nominations. To promote jazz, Breedlove has presented clinics, masterclasses and appeared as a guest soloist at colleges and universities across the country. He also volunteered to participate in a USO concert tour of Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan. Breedlove serves on the faculties of Towson University, Catholic University and the National Jazz Workshop.
The guest conductor will work with the select high school ensemble and will solo with the PSU Jazz Ensemble during the concert. Some of the music being performed was composed by Breedlove. Professor Mark Stickney, PSU director of bands, directs the PSU Jazz Ensemble. The PSU Jazz Workshop, directed by professor Rik Pfenninger, PSU coordinator of jazz studies and music technology, also will perform.
Tickets for the concert are available at the box office at 535-2787 or (800) 779-3869, and online at silver.plymouth.edu.
Arts & Entertainment
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Mind your (flea-market) manners - 1
- A great day for a road race - 0
- Fishermen say lie-detector test keeps Winni Derby honest - 2
- Some Winni Derby fishermen report seeing smaller catches - 1
- Tour de Breakfast fuels about 466 who bicycled, walked to work - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks - A scary spring sight: Dogs hanging out of open car windows - 0
- Hancock trio creates book to help rescue pet birds - 0
- Dick Pinney's Guidelines: Mixing business and pleasure while in Maine - 0
- A Family Promise holding talent search for fall fundraiser - 0
Mind your (flea-market) manners
Hooksett Police Commission walks away
A great day for a road race
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack