All New England Jazz Festival? at PSU on Tuesday
The Department of Music, Theatre, and Dance at Plymouth State University will host the annual All New England Jazz Festival for high school students Tuesday, March 12, at the Silver Center for the Arts.
Students in grades 10-12 from 17 schools across the six New England States will participate in a day-long program of jazz workshops and rehearsals, concluding with a 5 p.m. concert in Hanaway Theatre directed by Festival Conductor Graham Breedlove.
Breedlove, a member of the U.S. Army Blues jazz ensemble, a part of The United States Army Band, "Pershing's Own," has performed on four continents in more than 20 countries, with headliners representing more than 100 Grammy nominations. To promote jazz, Breedlove has presented clinics, masterclasses and appeared as a guest soloist at colleges and universities across the country. He also volunteered to participate in a USO concert tour of Kuwait, Iraq and Afghanistan. Breedlove serves on the faculties of Towson University, Catholic University and the National Jazz Workshop.
The guest conductor will work with the select high school ensemble and will solo with the PSU Jazz Ensemble during the concert. Some of the music being performed was composed by Breedlove. Professor Mark Stickney, PSU director of bands, directs the PSU Jazz Ensemble. The PSU Jazz Workshop, directed by professor Rik Pfenninger, PSU coordinator of jazz studies and music technology, also will perform.
Tickets for the concert are available at the box office at 535-2787 or (800) 779-3869, and online at silver.plymouth.edu.
Arts & Entertainment
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Pelham High nurse named School Nurse of the Year - 0
- MAKE SURE IT'S ME Opens at West End Studio Theatre - 0
- Harmonica Master James Cotton forced to postpone May 25 Londonderry Performance - 0
- Group continues effort to expand Cotton Valley Trail in Broofield - 0
- For Bedford girl, exploring the world in geography bee a ‘great thing to do’ - 0
- Loon Mountain Resort Unleashes New Obstacles for July 13 Monster Mud Run - 0
- Location Change for N.H. Fish and Game Commission Meeting June 12 - 0
- Jim Beauregard's Tasting Notes: Samuel Adams makes its can debut - 0
- Parents can plan ahead, model healthful habits... and not stress out - 0
Reviving the Piscataqua River Wherry
Memorial Day Observances 2013
Congo war's legacy follows survivor to NH
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs