Nov 14, 2013
Nov 6, 2013
Oct 30, 2013
Oct 23, 2013
Man found incompetent in Portsmouth simulated explosive case
Nicholas Durling is being held at the Rockingham County jail following his indictment last month on a felony count of placement of simulated explosives. Lawyers are expected to briefly meet with a judge about the case today. Prosecutors must decide whether they will intervene in a pending probate case for Durling, 31, that resulted in a four-year commitment at New Hampshire Hospital.
Neighbors of a Brewster Street rooming house were evacuated Aug. 5 around 1:30 a.m. when Portsmouth police found what they described as two primitive electronic devices plugged into a wall that smoked and gave off heat. Durling was admitted to the state hospital for an assessment the day after his arrest.
He received a four-year civil commitment from a probate judge on Aug. 28, Judge N. William Delker said in a court order.
"His mental health was stabilized and he was transferred back to the jail to resolve the pending criminal charges," Delker said in the order. A Rockingham County grand jury indicted Durling in February.
"The competency evaluation concludes that (Durling) is incompetent to stand trial and there is no likelihood that he can be restored to competency within 12 months," Delker said in the order. "The evaluation also concludes that (he) poses a serious danger to himself or others."
Although the competency hearing has already been decided in probate court, Delker said he is giving Rockingham County prosecutors an opportunity to have input in the civil commitment. County prosecutors could seek an involuntary commitment for Durling, or intervene in the pending civil commitment underway in probate court. Judge Kenneth McHugh, who is now presiding over the case, is expected to learn of the county's decision on Friday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two armed robberies overnight in Manchester - 0
- Job applicant charged with helping himself to a couple of bottles of champagne - 2
- Bow man robbed after leaving Manchester YMCA - 0
- Police say Keene robbery victim was targeted through online dating site - 0
- Keene police investigating attempted robbery at grocery store - 0
- Man, woman charged in 3 Kensington burglaries - 1
- Exeter drug sweep nets four - 0
- UPDATE: Convicted sex offender turns himself in - 0
- UPDATE: 3 teens taken into custody for Laconia boys and girls club damage - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Man wanted in Vermont arrested after high-speed chase in Rochester - 0
- John DiStaso's Granite Status: New NHDP campaign calls on Scott Brown to disclose clients - 0
- Glitches resolved in new managed-care Medicaid system - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Nashua teacher contract ratified - 0
- College roundup: Local men's teams go 3-0 for the night - 0
- Girls basketball: Derryfield, Bow girls' teams win - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- Progress reported in Pinkerton-Hooksett high school deal - 1
Exeter drug sweep nets four
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Bird blenders: 'Green energy' sacrifice
- Should applicants for jobless benefits have to pass a drug test?
- Total Votes: 1424