Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
Jul 24, 2014
Man found incompetent in Portsmouth simulated explosive case
Nicholas Durling is being held at the Rockingham County jail following his indictment last month on a felony count of placement of simulated explosives. Lawyers are expected to briefly meet with a judge about the case today. Prosecutors must decide whether they will intervene in a pending probate case for Durling, 31, that resulted in a four-year commitment at New Hampshire Hospital.
Neighbors of a Brewster Street rooming house were evacuated Aug. 5 around 1:30 a.m. when Portsmouth police found what they described as two primitive electronic devices plugged into a wall that smoked and gave off heat. Durling was admitted to the state hospital for an assessment the day after his arrest.
He received a four-year civil commitment from a probate judge on Aug. 28, Judge N. William Delker said in a court order.
"His mental health was stabilized and he was transferred back to the jail to resolve the pending criminal charges," Delker said in the order. A Rockingham County grand jury indicted Durling in February.
"The competency evaluation concludes that (Durling) is incompetent to stand trial and there is no likelihood that he can be restored to competency within 12 months," Delker said in the order. "The evaluation also concludes that (he) poses a serious danger to himself or others."
Although the competency hearing has already been decided in probate court, Delker said he is giving Rockingham County prosecutors an opportunity to have input in the civil commitment. County prosecutors could seek an involuntary commitment for Durling, or intervene in the pending civil commitment underway in probate court. Judge Kenneth McHugh, who is now presiding over the case, is expected to learn of the county's decision on Friday.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- West Lebanon man accused of secretly recording child - 0
- Prosecutors seek to block documents from advisor's fraud trial - 0
- Former EMT receives probation for theft of fentanyl - 0
- Biker faces charges after high-speed chase at 127 mph - 0
- NH teen killers to get sentence reviews after state Supreme Court decision - 7
- Manchester raid came 8 months after home invasion - 4
- NH killer in 1991 Smart trial seeks time with wife - 14
- Newport shooting victim in stable but critical condition - 0
- Nashua arrests 9 on drug warrants - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Know the Law: Know your rights when dealing with debt collectors - 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
DWI License Revocations
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917