Home » News » Public Safety
Nashua train derailment closes Bridge Street crossing
Sgt. William Dillon of Nashua police said that while the contents of the train are unknown, he would have been informed if there was anything hazardous. He added railroad officials have informed him that the derailment occurred due to a mechanical issue.
While Dillon said there is no current fear the trestle could collapse due to the damage and pressure from the derailed train car, he called the situation a "potential hazard."
The train accident, which was first called in at 7:14 p.m., has forced the closure of the rail crossing at Bridge St., with eight cars derailed behind it and two cars derailed in front of it. Dillon said he could not give a firm estimate as to when the road would reopen.
The fire department is currently responding to the scene, which already has police and railroad officials on site.
Despite multiple cars derailing, Dillon said officers on the scene have informed him that all the train cars are still upright and that there is no hope of repairing the train on-site.
Police did not know who the owner or operator of the train is.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 3
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
When company comes, opt for variety
Win tickets to see Ziggy Marley
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
Market Basket community waits and watches