Home » News » Public Safety
Nashua train derailment closes Bridge Street crossing
Sgt. William Dillon of Nashua police said that while the contents of the train are unknown, he would have been informed if there was anything hazardous. He added railroad officials have informed him that the derailment occurred due to a mechanical issue.
While Dillon said there is no current fear the trestle could collapse due to the damage and pressure from the derailed train car, he called the situation a "potential hazard."
The train accident, which was first called in at 7:14 p.m., has forced the closure of the rail crossing at Bridge St., with eight cars derailed behind it and two cars derailed in front of it. Dillon said he could not give a firm estimate as to when the road would reopen.
The fire department is currently responding to the scene, which already has police and railroad officials on site.
Despite multiple cars derailing, Dillon said officers on the scene have informed him that all the train cars are still upright and that there is no hope of repairing the train on-site.
Police did not know who the owner or operator of the train is.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 3
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Jailed man faces new charge for allegedly contacting witness - 0
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 4
- Nashua man arrested in Brookline stabbing - 0
- Cumberland Farms robbed; third store hit this month in Rochester - 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 1
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 3
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 4
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 1
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
LNG plant put 'on hold'
E-cigarettes find a market in NH