Home » Opinion » Editorials
Chavez is gone: The left seeks a new idol
Every generation produces foreign tyrants who find warm friendships here by employing one simple formula: 1. Proclaim one's self a socialist champion of the people; 2. Denounce the United States of America. The formula never fails. Employ it, and you can silence, imprison, torture and even kill your own people with the unqualified support of the American hard left.
Chavez was only the latest in the long parade of despots to use this ruse to great success. His 1992 coup attempt killed 18 people. No matter, it was in the name of socialism. He ruled Venezuela in part by suppressing the media and the political opposition, imprisoning and intimidating opponents, journalists and judges, and positioning himself as a vocal and active enemy of the United States.
In the end, Oliver Stone and Sean Penn called him "friend" and mourned his death. Former Rep. Joe Kennedy was his champion, as was a Democratic congressman from New York.
Amnesty International's 2012 report on Venezuela documents numerous civil rights abuses committed by the state. Chavez was in real life the despot fevered leftists imagined George W. Bush to be. But because he ruled in the name of their beloved socialism, they looked the other way (or they tacitly approved). Now they will search the globe for another brutal, despotic idol. If only Kim Jong Un had a better PR department.
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Siege Day launched at Pinkerton; students gain hands-on experience with hommade catapults - 0
- Middle school student's mom says principal used chokehold - 19
- School board suspends driver's ed program in Manchester, will probe source of $180k deficit - 2
- Manchester middle school principal placed on leave - 2
- Lebanon begins search for new school superindendent - 0
- Inventor excites Manchester fourth-graders with math, science possibilities - 0
- Nashua officals tour technical education center - 0
- City fourth-graders to meet entrepreneur Dean Kamen - 0
- No 3-day weekend for kids in Manchester school system - 5
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View -- John H. Sununu: Voters, pick a governor who is serious about the Pledge - 1
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 0
- Charles Arlinghaus: This government 'investment' is a bad idea - 0
- Preventing riots: What should Keene do? - 0
- Manchester mayor asks aldermen to hold abandonded property owners accountable - 0
- Residents given Londonderry playing field priority - 0
- NH has 1,300 guardrail ends targeted in federal safety suit - 0
- Carignan promoted to deputy police chief in Nashua - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Meat cleaver has key role in threats, assault case - 0
Locked in a dead heat, Shaheen, Brown spar
NH's back-road rest areas fading away
Fall hikers throughout NH put on notice
Team Obama: Faking right, voting left
Keene riots a focus of gubernatorial debate
Preventing riots: What should Keene do?
Jonee Earthquake band shakes Shaskeen