Home » Opinion » Editorials
Town meeting? What town meeting?
Perhaps we exaggerate just a little bit. (It's probably a bronze statue of David Hasselhoff.) But really, if you have no idea what is on the agenda for town meeting, you could be in for a rude awakening later.
Town meetings might seem like nuisances, but they are important. They give you the chance to vote on serious local issues, such as a town hall renovation (Pelham), a new middle school (Windham), road and bridge reconstruction (Salem), town labor contracts (Hudson), a new highway garage (Hopkinton) or a giant statue of David Hasselhoff (just checking your attention span).
The good news for you, dear uninformed voter, is that most towns will meet next Tuesday or Wednesday, so you have the weekend to learn what issues are on the ballot and how you want to vote on them. Our advice: no matter how appealing it sounds, go with "no" on the Hasselhoff statue. (A cardboard cutout for the lobby of town hall is much cheaper.)
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Diocese of Manchester's journey of faith - 0
- Christ Church in Exeter gets grant for Cuba work - 0
- Parishioners mourn death of longtime priest at St. Hedwig in Manchester - 0
- All Saints' Episcopal picks a new rector - 0
- New rabbi joins Temple Israel of Portsmouth - 0
- Granite Staters set sights on Quebec pilgrimage - 0
- Pope begs forgiveness for 'sacrilegious cult' of Church sex abuse - 0
- Sudan releases Ibrahim, but insists she stay there - 0
- Emergency preparedness class offered for churches - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 0
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
- Muskrats, Swamp Bats split twinbill - 0
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
When company comes, opt for variety
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride