Home » Opinion » Editorials
Town meeting? What town meeting?
Perhaps we exaggerate just a little bit. (It's probably a bronze statue of David Hasselhoff.) But really, if you have no idea what is on the agenda for town meeting, you could be in for a rude awakening later.
Town meetings might seem like nuisances, but they are important. They give you the chance to vote on serious local issues, such as a town hall renovation (Pelham), a new middle school (Windham), road and bridge reconstruction (Salem), town labor contracts (Hudson), a new highway garage (Hopkinton) or a giant statue of David Hasselhoff (just checking your attention span).
The good news for you, dear uninformed voter, is that most towns will meet next Tuesday or Wednesday, so you have the weekend to learn what issues are on the ballot and how you want to vote on them. Our advice: no matter how appealing it sounds, go with "no" on the Hasselhoff statue. (A cardboard cutout for the lobby of town hall is much cheaper.)
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Granite Staters set sights on Quebec pilgrimage - 0
- Pope begs forgiveness for 'sacrilegious cult' of Church sex abuse - 0
- Sudan releases Ibrahim, but insists she stay there - 0
- Emergency preparedness class offered for churches - 0
- Music minister Grinnell leaving First Congregational Church - 0
- Bishop makes changes to Diocesan leadership structure - 0
- Meriam Yehya Ibrahim, children being held again in Sudan - 0
- Colebrook shrine known for 'Blessing of the Bikes' closing July 1 - 1
- Reports say Sudan to release sister-in-law of NH man - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two vehicle crash in Milton ends with one driver sustaining fatal injuries - 0
- Portland Sea Dogs get past NH Fisher Cats in righty’s first AA start of season - 0
- Keene Swamp Bats edge Sanford in NECBL action - 0
- Manchester's Hanover St. block party kicks off block party season - 0
- Little, MacDonald 1-2 in wild K&N 100 in Loudon - 0
- Kyle Busch focused leading up to Camping World RV Sales 301 - 0
- Somersworth man charged in three incidents - 0
- Hosts hoping for extended Little League district final - 0
- Assisted living facility proposed for Londonderry - 0
Outrageous waste: You overpaid by how much?
Another View -- Tiler Eaton: The Northern Pass project would help, not hurt, NH's economy
Coco is back in jail, but maybe not for long