Monarchs climb out of hole, top Portland in overtime
Brandon Kozun, who netted two goals in the game, scored the game-winner at 2:52 of the overtime session with an unassisted goal. The strike was his 23rd of the season.
Portland peppered the Manchester net with 15 shots on goal during the first period and three found their way past Monarchs goalie Martin Jones. But the Manchester netminder sharply patrolled his net the rest of the way and the Monarchs' defense yielded just 13 shots during the second and third periods and none during the overtime.
The defense was especially effective during the Pirates six power play opportunities, denying the hosts on each.
Trailing by three, Manchester chipped away at the Pirates' lead with a single goal from Andrew Bodnarchuk in the second. Manchester all-star Tyler Toffoli and Andy Andreoff assisted.
Kozun netted his first goal of the game at 4:14 of the third from Bryan Rodney and Jordan Weal before Toffoli scored his 28th to tie the game with a shorthanded tally at 4:47.
Jones, who allowed goals from the Pirates Chris Brown, Darian Dziurzynski and Jordan Szwarz, finished with 25 saves.
Manchester skaters fired 31 shots on Portland goalie Chad Johnson.
The loss leave Manchester in third place in the Eastern Conference's Atlantic Division with a record of 28-24-3-3 for 62 points. Portland is a slot ahead of the Monarchs with a mark of 33-20-2-2 for 70 points. The Providence Bruins, who beat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Friday are first with 71 points.
Manchester welcomes Wilkes-Barre to the Verizon Wireless Arena Sunday at 5 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Manchester's O'Neill, Lebanon's Morrill form UNH's 'Granite Wall' - 0
- Stretch of I-293 North and South closed after propane tank crashes - 1
- $13m contract recommended for next phase of Nashua parkway - 0
- Couple charged in connection with Exeter burglaries - 0
- Proposed article sets rules for use of temporary signs - 0
- Newsreel: State unemployment stable; Gates Foundation CEO named; generic Viagra out soon - 0
- Leclerc takes second place in men's hockey - 0
- Trinity-Central game pushed to tonight - 0
- Derryfield's Hyde, Faulkner star in ski relays - 0
Shaheen, Ayotte split on House budget plan