Monarchs climb out of hole, top Portland in overtime
Brandon Kozun, who netted two goals in the game, scored the game-winner at 2:52 of the overtime session with an unassisted goal. The strike was his 23rd of the season.
Portland peppered the Manchester net with 15 shots on goal during the first period and three found their way past Monarchs goalie Martin Jones. But the Manchester netminder sharply patrolled his net the rest of the way and the Monarchs' defense yielded just 13 shots during the second and third periods and none during the overtime.
The defense was especially effective during the Pirates six power play opportunities, denying the hosts on each.
Trailing by three, Manchester chipped away at the Pirates' lead with a single goal from Andrew Bodnarchuk in the second. Manchester all-star Tyler Toffoli and Andy Andreoff assisted.
Kozun netted his first goal of the game at 4:14 of the third from Bryan Rodney and Jordan Weal before Toffoli scored his 28th to tie the game with a shorthanded tally at 4:47.
Jones, who allowed goals from the Pirates Chris Brown, Darian Dziurzynski and Jordan Szwarz, finished with 25 saves.
Manchester skaters fired 31 shots on Portland goalie Chad Johnson.
The loss leave Manchester in third place in the Eastern Conference's Atlantic Division with a record of 28-24-3-3 for 62 points. Portland is a slot ahead of the Monarchs with a mark of 33-20-2-2 for 70 points. The Providence Bruins, who beat Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Friday are first with 71 points.
Manchester welcomes Wilkes-Barre to the Verizon Wireless Arena Sunday at 5 p.m.
READER COMMENTS: 3
- Epping dump cats left on their own - 44
- This Week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Animal rights group finds butterfly release at kindness rally kind of cruel - 10
- Bald eagle family takes up residence in Manchester - 4
- Auto dealership employees give stray parakeet new lease on life - 0
- Big Cat Coffees website accepts NH Humane Society donations - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Dogs can be taught not to pull on leash - 0
- This week's Rare Bird Alert - 0
- Humane Society of Greater Nashua earns award - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Military People: NH woman graduates from Air Force training - 0
- Lebanon College graduates 19 - 0
- Oxbow captures Preakness Stakes - 0
- Plymouth State speaker tells grads to 'Become agents of change' - 0
- Former FBI head tells St. Anselm graduates it is important to give back - 1
- UNH commencement speaker tells graduates: Don't worry about mistakes, learn from them - 2
- Ayotte tells NEC graduates to be passionate about their work - 1
- Antioch University awards 145 degrees - 0
- Message to Nashua Community College grads: find strength - 0
Lawyer says Northern Pass in 'a corner'
Hooksett Police Commission walks away
Mass. men arrested on drugs, weapons charges
NH vote nears on expansion of Medicaid
Nashua school parking surprise