Home » Opinion » Editorials
Where's the sunshine? More secrets in Manchester
Among them, just what happened here and were the police notified? If so, why no investigation?
These are not idle questions. But, more and more, the public isn't getting answers.
The people of New Hampshire and its towns, cities and state government elect and appoint officials and expect those officials to follow the law.
Yet too many of those officials obfuscate, double-speak, and hide behind "personnel" rules to avoid answers. Without the answers, how are people to judge the worth of their representatives?
In Manchester, the allegations were serious enough for Nicholas Moutsioulis to surrender his license to teach.
He did so under a provision of teacher rules that allows surrender with the knowledge that revocation is likely. But teacher personnel records are also confidential.
The Union Leader found, through the man's divorce records, that his wife had charged, and he denied, "an adulterous relationship with a minor over whom he was in a position of authority."
This is no small thing. But when our reporter asked Superintendent of Schools Thomas Brennan whether he had notified the police, he wouldn't directly answer the question. He would say only that proper procedures were followed. The police, meanwhile, say they have no record of an investigation or prosecution. Which means what? That they were not notified or were but decided not to investigate?
The school board ought to demand a straight answer from Brennan and report it to the public. Was the matter reported to police? Chief David Mara also needs to set the record straight.
We are entering what is known as "Sunshine Week" in honor and appreciation of our open form of self-government.
Manchester and New Hampshire could use a lot more sunshine these days.
READER COMMENTS: 29
- Smith schools Hassan: Leadership in Londonderry - 0
- Where officers live: Manchester is missing the point - 4
- Leo Bernier: For Hillsborough County Commission - 0
- Insurance exchanges Sam's Club or Obama's club? - 11
- Garcia and Guinta: For a change, send them to DC - 22
- Jeanne's travel ban: She doesn't want Obama here - 14
- Making it up: Shameless state Senate attacks - 9
- Fixing Obamacare: Shaheen offers no way out - 41
- Team Obama: Faking right, voting left - 26
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Shaheen, Brown supporters gather at final debate - 2
- Senate candidates sharply divided on Islamic threat, Ebola, Obamacare - 21
- Stocks up on GDP, earnings - 0
- Rocket blast damps Orbital as commercial space rush lures rivals - 0
- Former Farmington fire chief waives arraignment on theft charges - 0
- $50k bail for two charged with beating pizza delivery man - 0
- Latest round of riot arrests includes 5 Keene State students - 0
- 2 Manchester health service groups announce merger - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
Trump fired up over NH mailer