Home » Opinion » Editorials
Ayotte's dinner: Talking with Obama is wrong?
Among the dozen Republican senators who joined the President for dinner and conversation at Washington's Jefferson Hotel Wednesday night was New Hampshire's Kelly Ayotte. Friendly with Sen. John McCain, Ayotte drew criticism from some libertarian and conservative activists for joining the President (and McCain and Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., two famously moderate Republicans). Somehow, Ayotte would have accomplished more had she snubbed the President and joined Sen. Rand Paul's filibuster of CIA director nominee John Brennan, the outraged activists suggested. Nonsense.
Just days before, Ayotte was on ABC's "This Week with George Stephanoplous" saying that she was open to a grand bargain on debt reduction. She would consider revenue increases, she said, but only if they included tax rate reductions, came with serious entitlement reforms, and the new revenue was dedicated exclusively to reducing the federal debt.
To suggest that there is no value in conveying that message to the President in person, in a casual setting in which a working relationship might develop, is to misunderstand the way politics works.
Last August, Sen. Tom Coburn (who attended last Wednesday's dinner) came to the defense of the Tea Party during an interview on MSNBC. Among his points was that Tea Party activists "understand that you've got to have human relations to get along in this world." It is amazing and disappointing that so many activists on both sides think that progress is made by refusing to work with anyone in the other camp.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Secret arrests? Not if we can help it - 5
- Process and law: Foster's questionable circumvention - 1
- The courage of Boston: The courage of America - 1
- Downhill: Obamacare vs. ski areas - 24
- 'He is risen': 'As he said' - 1
- A cellphone ban: Ignoring inconvenient data - 10
- City budget talk: How about solutions instead? - 2
- Death & justice: Officer Briggs is not forgotten - 7
- Decency displayed: Havenstein's nice start - 7
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Londonderry councilors critical of town’s economic development website - 0
- Candia teen faces more counts in connection with burglary - 0
- Suspect arrested, loot recovered 10 minutes after Derry bank robbery - 0
- Ellsbury propels Yanks over Sox - 0
- Bruins shut out Wings - 0
- Phaneuf leads Derryfield laxers past Pelham - 0
- High School Volleyball results - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: Teen recruited juvenile for burglaries - 0
- Cell phones, speakers stolen in separate incidents - 0
Younger of two brothers convicted of murdering parents quietly released after 18 years in prison
Shaheen touts land conservation fund
High School Volleyball results
Bruins shut out Wings
Secret arrests? Not if we can help it
Prepare to pay more to park in Manchester
Latest Groton wind farm fight: Snow plowing