Home » Opinion » Editorials
Sign swiping: Enough, already
The latest episode - caught on video, as so many are these days - comes from Candia, where an activist named Eric Shifflett caught Selectman Fred Kelley parked near some political signs while several belonging to Shifflett sat in Kelley's truck. Kelley admitted taking the signs and said he legally could because the signs were illegal.
The law, however, spells out exactly who has the authority to remove illegal signs. Selectmen are not on the list.
These juvenile shenanigans are penny ante stuff, as far as political misdeeds go. But in small, local races it is possible that sign swiping can affect the outcome.
Such misbehavior is not going to stop entirely. But the Attorney General's Office can dampen activists' misguided enthusiasm for it by prosecuting some high-profile cases. It is a nuisance that should be curbed.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles Krauthammer: Lower corporate tax rates or lose more firms - 0
- Roger Simon: If Hillary represents an Obama third term, she is doomed - 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Parvo scare could be detrimental to puppy training, despite slim risk - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 28
- John Stossel: The other green monster - 1
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 3
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 4
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 2
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Laconia accident results in minor injuries for motorcyclist - 0
- Christopher Thompson's Closing the Deal: Time for Market Basket to get back to business - 0
- Playing for a purpose Field Hockey Jamboree at Manchester Memorial - 0
- Franklin Pierce's Kirsh to retire as AD - 0
- UNH Wildcat gridders can't stop Toledo, 54-20 - 0
- UNH Wildcats volleyball looking forward to good season - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Pats' cuts hold few surprises - 0
- New-look Boston Red Sox taking test run - 0
- NH Fisher Cats bats silenced in Conn., in 3-1 loss - 0
Mount Washington Auto Road to host largest gathering of alternative-energy based vehicles in North America