Home » Opinion » Editorials
Sign swiping: Enough, already
The latest episode - caught on video, as so many are these days - comes from Candia, where an activist named Eric Shifflett caught Selectman Fred Kelley parked near some political signs while several belonging to Shifflett sat in Kelley's truck. Kelley admitted taking the signs and said he legally could because the signs were illegal.
The law, however, spells out exactly who has the authority to remove illegal signs. Selectmen are not on the list.
These juvenile shenanigans are penny ante stuff, as far as political misdeeds go. But in small, local races it is possible that sign swiping can affect the outcome.
Such misbehavior is not going to stop entirely. But the Attorney General's Office can dampen activists' misguided enthusiasm for it by prosecuting some high-profile cases. It is a nuisance that should be curbed.
READER COMMENTS: 6
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 4
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
- Ryan Pitts: Reluctant hero - 0
- Relief and questions: Abby Hernandez returns home - 0
- Insanity: Obamacare and the rule of law - 61
- What’s the rush? Executive Council follows Pelosi plan - 3
- Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal - 34
- Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility - 8
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Deadline pressure to adopt new Nashua budget - 0
- Bedford, Lebanon prevail in Junior Legion tourney - 0
- State Legion tournament: Sweeney Post stuns Hudson - 0
- Swamp Bats fall to Mystic - 0
- Tears flow as six inducted into Baseball Hall of Fame - 0
- New Boston police arrest 29 teens at house party - 0
- Fisher Cats lead in 12th with game suspended - 0
- Obama maintains fundraising schedule, even when crises occur - 0
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
Win tickets to see Cher's D2K Tour
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Deadline pressure to adopt new Nashua budget
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
LNG plant put 'on hold'
E-cigarettes find a market in NH
20140728-Dover patient shocked by $3,766 Wentworth-Douglass charged insurer for tube of cold sore cream
Cabrera, Blue Jays trounce fading Red Sox