Home » Opinion » Editorials
Secret settlement: Micklovich's $200,000
Last May, the city paid Micklovich $200,000 in a settlement. (Frankly, that does not seem like enough to compensate for what that young man suffered.) The settlement, though, was kept hush-hush. This newspaper learned about it and reported it yesterday - during Sunshine Week. How perfect.
Sunshine Week is a time to honor, recognize and promote open government. Alderman Bill Shea, chairman of the Aldermanic Committee on Human Resources and Insurance, which approved the settlement, said it was not up to his committee to make that information public. Ah, the old it's-not-my-job excuse.
The public has a right to know how its municipal employees behave and how its tax money is spent. Keeping that information secret only hurts the city by undermining its credibility and the public trust. That so few public officials get that is a constant disappointment.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Fleeing hostile states: Gun makers will travel - 12
- Voting in NH: Not just for NH residents - 28
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 6
- Seabrook's message: No one above the law here - 3
- 'Economic patriotism'; tax rates and border jumpers - 6
- Do the job, leave; a NH candidate makes sense - 7
- Faith and freedom; a near-martyr comes to NH - 5
- Innis with terrorists? A low blow from Guinta - 2
- Basket case: Saga of a supermarket - 12
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Red Sox' summer swoon continues as Jays finish sweep - 0
- Lawrence, Fisher Cats too much for Binghamton - 0
- Former Manchester teacher jailed for assaulting student, 6, with soap, pepper - 0
- Merrimack zoning officials deny AT&T cell tower request - 0
- Derry woman faces charges after nearly hitting Salem police officers - 0
- Upsets mark quarterfinal play in Red Ryan CYO golf - 0
- Moose International files suit to claim Claremont lodge - 0
- Manchester Crimewatch: City man accused of menacing woman, assaulting teen - 0
- Keene boy hit by truck remains hospitalized - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Derry woman arrested after police pursuit
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'