Dec 4, 2014
Oct 30, 2014
Oct 2, 2014
Sep 25, 2014
Manchester firefighter held until entering VA program
By mutual agreement Witty Phelps, 46, of 59 Drew Ave., will be held without bail until he is accepted into a VA residential program, at which time bail will be set at $50,000 personal recognizance.
At his arraignment Tuesday, police prosecutors filed a motion for preventative detention and the agreement followed discussions between prosecutors and Phelps' attorney, Arthur Gatzoulis.
If Phelps should check himself out of the facility or fail to complete the program, bail will revert to a no-bail hold. A hearing will be held upon completion of the VA program to determine an amount of bail, pending resolution of the charges.
Phelps' girlfriend told police he is a veteran who sustained a head injury while fighting in Iraq and has been diagnosed with PTSD. She said his problems with anger and aggression began around Thanksgiving 2012 and she urged him to go to the Veterans Administration for help. She said the initial efforts by the VA to help resolve the issues had negative effects and the anger and anxiety got worse, resulting in several occasions when Phelps put the gun to his own head before the March 9 incident that resulted in his arrest.
Fire Chief James Burkush said Phelps, who joined the department in 2002, has earned leave that can be used for the VA residential program.
Burkush said Phelps will still have to face the felony charges, but he said: "One step at a time."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH had 17 homicides in 2014, down from last year - 0
- Two people hospitalized following report of stabbing, police say - 0
- Merrimack teen charged in threats, assaults on girl - 0
- Man arrested after chase that led from Pelham to Lowell, Mass. - 1
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive - 3
- Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive, assaulted her - 1
- Former Colonial Theatre finance director indicted - 0
- Troy welfare officer indicted for misusing town’s money - 1
- Man arrested for failing to register as sex offender - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- 2014 top 10 list of wage and hour - 0
- Thumbs-up for Ebert's winner - 0
- It's Central, Merrimack - 0
- Goal: Stay healthy - 0
- Year in review: A look back at NH's top stories - 0
- Indecent proposition from New London chief was 'chilling' says victim - 1
- Details of Reams inquiry released - 0
- Workers' rally to bring back Artie T. captured public's heart - 0
- School district to receive millions withheld by state - 0
Merrimack teen allegedly held girl captive
Thoughts as we move from one year to another
Details of Reams inquiry released
- Whom do you think bears the brunt of the blame for the mayhem this weekend in Keene?
- KSC students
- KSC administration
- Visitors from out of town
- A combination of any/all of the above
- Total Votes: 2483