Sep 4, 2014
Aug 28, 2014
Aug 21, 2014
Aug 14, 2014
17 years and $400m in restitution for USS Miami arsonist
Casey James Fury, 26, formerly of Portsmouth, was a painter and sandblaster for three years at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, Maine, when he set a fire on May 23 in a stateroom so he could be sent home from work. The blaze, fueled by the enamel paint on the submarine's ceilings and walls, caused $450 to $500 million in damage.
Fury was sentenced in U.S. District Court in Portland by U.S. District Court Judge George Z. Singal. Fury was ordered to make $400 million in restitution, though prosecutors admit that's unlikely to happen.
Fury had agreed to a plea bargain that called for a sentence of between 15 and a half to just over 17 years on two arson counts. At sentencing, prosecutors argued for the maximum, the defense for the minimum.
The first fire was on May 23 about 5:30 p.m. Wanting to go home, Fury lit a plastic bag containing cotton rags on top of a bed in a stateroom in the forward compartment of the nuclear powered Los Angeles class attack submarine in dry dock for maintenance.
Five firefighters and two shipyard workers were injured as they fought the blaze for 12 hours.
Fury, who has a history of anxiety and depression, was in a panic that day. With no sick days or vacation time left, he set the blaze so he could go home, according to court documents filed by Federal Defender David Beneman. Fury expected someone would see the fire and put it out since the submarine is outfitted with fire extinguishers. He never expected it would cause the damage it did, Beneman said.
But the fire spread quickly igniting enamel paint used on the walls and ceiling of the submarine, Beneman wrote. Naval and ATF tests established the burning rags alone did not create enough heat or energy to spread the fire. It was the enamel paint on the walls and ceilings of the submarine that fueled the expanding fire, according to Beneman. The enamel paint hazard was not previously recognized, he said.
Less than a month after the devastating blaze, Fury started a second fire using alcohol wipes on June 16 at 7 p.m. on the dry dock blocks on which the Miami rests. Again, he did it so he could get out of work early. This fire was quickly extinguished and caused little or no damage but did result in the submarine being evacuated.
Prosecutors acknowledged Fury started the first fire as a distraction but said it spread quickly and caused catastrophic damage. Fury rushed off the submarine to safety, alongside colleagues who feared for their lives as smoke filled hallways barely large enough to walk through while wearing regular clothing, let alone fire-fighting equipment, wrote Assistant U.S. Atty. Darcie N. McElwee. The defendant then watched from the safety of the pier as others risked their lives to battle the blaze, according to McElwee.
Fury's conduct, the prosecutor said, has far-reaching consequences and, because of sequestration, repair of the USS Miami has been deferred. While the Miami is out of commission, other submarines will be at sea longer. Fury's action, the prosecutor said, cost the United States the use of an vital national asset for 18 months beyond the originally scheduled 19.6 month maintenance period.
The court recommended Fury serve his time in a prison able to address his mental health needs. On release, Fury will remain on supervised release for five years.
Union Leader correspondent Gretyl Macalaster contributed to this report.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Bodies of mother, son found in Amherst home in apparent murder-suicide - 0
- UPS driver charged in hit-and-run at Merrimack business - 0
- Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children - 3
- Gunman hits Circle K convenience store in Durham - 0
- Nashua man charged in domestic knife threat - 0
- Pair accused in Hampstead home invasion also face witness tampering charges - 0
- Widow of chiropractor killed this summer says fatal shooting was no accident - 9
- Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced - 1
- Man claims rights were violated during investigation - 0
READER COMMENTS: 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: NH's job problem needs more than one fix - 3
- USNH's raw deal: Part deux - 2
- Every vote counts: Here is the proof - 3
- College Sports Roundup: NEC's Locke scores twice in soccer win - 0
- NHIAA Roundup: Campbell, Jutras blank Gilford - 0
- Pirates stay hot, blank Red Sox - 0
- Londonderry police to open station to residents - 0
- Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua - 2
- NHIAA Golf: Crusaders teeing up special year - 0
Man accused of raping 13-year old in Nashua
Alleged accomplice in brutal Bedford home invasion, attack on doctor and wife, says his testimony was coerced
Seabrook mom pleads not guilty by reason of insanity to attempted murder of her two children
Win tickets to see Demi Lovato
Another View -- Sharon Day: The Democrats' claim to be the party for women is just not believable
Another View -- Bill Duncan: What did the NH Supreme Court really say about private school funding?
Every vote counts: Here is the proof
- Mass. Supreme Judicial Court has found upskirt photos taken on a subway aren't illegal. Should such voyeurism be a crime?
- Total Votes: 917