Home » Opinion » Editorials
The joystick medal: An insult to combat veterans
"It recognizes a specific type of contribution that is vital to the defense of our nation. It in no way degrades or minimizes our nation's other important awards or the tremendous sacrifices of our men and women who earn these prestigious recognitions."
Merriam-Webster defines "degrade" as "to lower in grade, rank, or status." The Distinguished Warfare Medal would bump the Bronze Star and Purple Heart down the ranks of military medals, from 9th and 10th, respectively, to 10th and 11th. It would degrade those medals, literally.
Hagel inherited this slight to the valor of our combat forces from his predecessor, Leon Panetta, who approved it. Panetta's Feb. 13 letter announcing the medal stated that it was created specifically to rank above the Bronze Star (it will be just below the Distinguished Flying Cross).
After pressure from some senators (including Kelly Ayotte and Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire) and veterans groups, Hagel said this week he would review the new medal. We hope he will not have to be guided by hand to the right conclusion on every major decision. Judging from his confirmation hearing and his tone-deaf response to this issue, that seems like a real possibility.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Nashua school members' letter prompts an apology - 0
- UNH Law named a top 100 law school in magazine’s rankings - 0
- Loeb School spring classes offer career-change chance - 0
- 'Mathletes' chosen to represent NH in national competition - 1
- Pembroke Academy wants to help at-risk students - 0
- From Russia, with love of numbers at Nashua school - 0
- Great Bay Community College 'boot camp' trains students in precision manufacturing - 0
- Cyber defense competition coming to University of New Hampshire - 0
- Dartmouth College mourns sudden death of student - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- No dice: House kills casino gambling bill - 0
- Poetry Out Loud championship rescheduled due to storm - 0
- Portsmouth buildings evacuated for reported gas leak - 0
- Mass. man dies in Chesterfield crash - 0
- Manchester collision results in pedestrian's death - 0
- SCORE workshop offers social media tips - 0
- Sens. Shaheen, Ayotte slam latest push for online sales tax - 4
- Bedford girls basketball team spreads the scoring wealth - 0
- New Hampshire high school athletes on the run (and jumping) in NYC - 0
SCORE workshop offers social media tips
Minimum wages: Maximum spin
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Scott Brown doles out $29k to NHGOP committees from his PAC
Hooksett votes down Pinkerton schools deal