Home » Opinion » Editorials
The joystick medal: An insult to combat veterans
"It recognizes a specific type of contribution that is vital to the defense of our nation. It in no way degrades or minimizes our nation's other important awards or the tremendous sacrifices of our men and women who earn these prestigious recognitions."
Merriam-Webster defines "degrade" as "to lower in grade, rank, or status." The Distinguished Warfare Medal would bump the Bronze Star and Purple Heart down the ranks of military medals, from 9th and 10th, respectively, to 10th and 11th. It would degrade those medals, literally.
Hagel inherited this slight to the valor of our combat forces from his predecessor, Leon Panetta, who approved it. Panetta's Feb. 13 letter announcing the medal stated that it was created specifically to rank above the Bronze Star (it will be just below the Distinguished Flying Cross).
After pressure from some senators (including Kelly Ayotte and Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire) and veterans groups, Hagel said this week he would review the new medal. We hope he will not have to be guided by hand to the right conclusion on every major decision. Judging from his confirmation hearing and his tone-deaf response to this issue, that seems like a real possibility.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- College Baseball: Ravens outlast Penmen in 13 to survive another day - 0
- NCAA Baseball: Penmen win again - 0
- College Baseball: Mathieu, FPU cruise in NCAAs - 0
- College Roundup: SNHU rolls in NCAA opener - 0
- College Baseball: DWC stays alive in NCAAs - 0
- Penmen set sights on return to NCAA Div. II World Series - 0
- Daniel Webster nine loses NCAA test - 0
- NH College Roundup: DWC baseball team begins NCAAs today - 0
- Franklin Pierce University plays in regional opener; SNHU has night game - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 0
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 0
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Last-minute lobbying frantic as House prepares for casino vote - 2
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 5
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 1
- Police seek man they say passed counterfeit bill at Manchester mall - 1
- Lightning strikes home in Exeter - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs