Home » Opinion » Editorials
The joystick medal: An insult to combat veterans
"It recognizes a specific type of contribution that is vital to the defense of our nation. It in no way degrades or minimizes our nation's other important awards or the tremendous sacrifices of our men and women who earn these prestigious recognitions."
Merriam-Webster defines "degrade" as "to lower in grade, rank, or status." The Distinguished Warfare Medal would bump the Bronze Star and Purple Heart down the ranks of military medals, from 9th and 10th, respectively, to 10th and 11th. It would degrade those medals, literally.
Hagel inherited this slight to the valor of our combat forces from his predecessor, Leon Panetta, who approved it. Panetta's Feb. 13 letter announcing the medal stated that it was created specifically to rank above the Bronze Star (it will be just below the Distinguished Flying Cross).
After pressure from some senators (including Kelly Ayotte and Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire) and veterans groups, Hagel said this week he would review the new medal. We hope he will not have to be guided by hand to the right conclusion on every major decision. Judging from his confirmation hearing and his tone-deaf response to this issue, that seems like a real possibility.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Pat Buchanan: Barack Obama is the spectator President - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Obama's 'idiot' defense - 1
- Another View: Amendments to the Senate casino bill make it worth passing - 4
- Charles Arlinghaus: On Medicaid expansion, the right answer is, 'not yet' - 2
- Deroy Murdock: A bloated state necessarily bullies, as the IRS did - 3
- Kathy Sullivan: The IRS scandal exposes flaw behind tax-exempt politicking - 24
- Pat Buchanan: For what should Americans die? - 1
- Your Turn, NH: Common Core will be a costly burden for students, taxpayers - 10
- Jonah Goldberg: The IRS was only following Obama's lead - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 2
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 29
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
- Portsmouth manhunt suspect turns himself in to police - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire
Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands