Home » Opinion » Editorials
The joystick medal: An insult to combat veterans
"It recognizes a specific type of contribution that is vital to the defense of our nation. It in no way degrades or minimizes our nation's other important awards or the tremendous sacrifices of our men and women who earn these prestigious recognitions."
Merriam-Webster defines "degrade" as "to lower in grade, rank, or status." The Distinguished Warfare Medal would bump the Bronze Star and Purple Heart down the ranks of military medals, from 9th and 10th, respectively, to 10th and 11th. It would degrade those medals, literally.
Hagel inherited this slight to the valor of our combat forces from his predecessor, Leon Panetta, who approved it. Panetta's Feb. 13 letter announcing the medal stated that it was created specifically to rank above the Bronze Star (it will be just below the Distinguished Flying Cross).
After pressure from some senators (including Kelly Ayotte and Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire) and veterans groups, Hagel said this week he would review the new medal. We hope he will not have to be guided by hand to the right conclusion on every major decision. Judging from his confirmation hearing and his tone-deaf response to this issue, that seems like a real possibility.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Gail Fisher's Dog Tracks: Before your dog takes a dip in fresh water, learn about toxic algae risks - 0
- Another View -- Yehuda Yaakov: What Israel is up against - 6
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Scaremongering is the left's hobby - 2
- Another View -- Steve Stanek: Impact fees for new homes actually raise property taxes - 6
- John Stossel: Who will build the roads? - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: Attacking Israel with the big lie -- genocide - 1
- Pat Buchanan: Balkanization beckons - 2
- Charles Arlinghaus: The same stuff sells in politics as everywhere - 3
- Another View -- Virginia Postrel: Speech rules turn colleges into no-thought zones - 4
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back - 1
- Nashua Medal of Honor recipient: 'There was valor everywhere' - 0
- Texas governor to deploy 1,000 National Guard troops to border - 0
- New college are graduates hit by slow wage growth - 0
- Stocks finish the day slightly lower - 0
- Business economists say sales, hiring and pay are up - 0
- Keene man charged with June Central Square 'chalking' assault - 0
- State bomb squad explodes suspicious package in Salem parking lot - 0
- Bodies of downed plane's passengers leave Ukraine crash site for return to Netherlands - 0
DWI License Revocations
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility
Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back