Home » Opinion » Editorials
The joystick medal: An insult to combat veterans
"It recognizes a specific type of contribution that is vital to the defense of our nation. It in no way degrades or minimizes our nation's other important awards or the tremendous sacrifices of our men and women who earn these prestigious recognitions."
Merriam-Webster defines "degrade" as "to lower in grade, rank, or status." The Distinguished Warfare Medal would bump the Bronze Star and Purple Heart down the ranks of military medals, from 9th and 10th, respectively, to 10th and 11th. It would degrade those medals, literally.
Hagel inherited this slight to the valor of our combat forces from his predecessor, Leon Panetta, who approved it. Panetta's Feb. 13 letter announcing the medal stated that it was created specifically to rank above the Bronze Star (it will be just below the Distinguished Flying Cross).
After pressure from some senators (including Kelly Ayotte and Jeanne Shaheen of New Hampshire) and veterans groups, Hagel said this week he would review the new medal. We hope he will not have to be guided by hand to the right conclusion on every major decision. Judging from his confirmation hearing and his tone-deaf response to this issue, that seems like a real possibility.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Granite Staters lifts UConn baseball team in NCAAs - 0
- Berlin native Gendron is new Maine ice coach - 0
- Goffstown’s Bourque heads UNH hockey recuiting list - 0
- Granite State players help college teams to playoffs - 0
- Franklin Pierce ousted from NCAA Div. II baseball championship - 0
- Sloppy FPU outslugged at World Series - 0
- Dionne, Duprey help Duke - 0
- Franklin Pierce opens D-II World Series with win - 1
- NCAA finals a first for most FPU Ravens - 0
READER COMMENTS: 3
- House, Senate at standoff over vaccines, voter registration bill - 0
- Rochester parents called to court to answer for truant children - 0
- Exeter High teachers' resignations announced at meeting - 0
- Rochester woman under arrest in underage party - 0
- LeBron, Heat edge Spurs in OT, force Game 7 - 0
- Santos drives in three as Curve beat Fisher Cats in 10 - 0
- Large billboards grabbing attention on Route 101 in Epping - 2
- Pearl Street lot proposal involves student housing in Manchester - 3
- Manchester VFW posts fights to survive without poker cash - 2
Nashua couple's deaths called suspicious
Voter restrictions: Who will govern us?
Mother of drowned baby gets prison time