Home » News » Politics » Town Meetings
Groton passes one wind farm-related article, rejects another
Article 27 was one of only two articles voted down. The measure would have designated the historic 1771 Dartmouth College Road, known as Province Road, as a scenic road.
Voters approved Article 3, spending $96,000 for repair/reconstruction of a portion of North Groton Road.
By secret ballot, voters also decided on two wind farm-related articles.
By a vote of 28-21, voters defeated Article 28, which asked the town to require the board of selectmen and/or the planning board to suspend all negotiations and/or planning relative to commercial wind turbines until the state updates its Energy Master Plan. An amendment to the article passed, but the article ultimately failed when it came to a vote, according to Selectman Miles Sinclair.
By a vote of 25-22, voters approved Article 29, which would require all wind energy facilities that may come to be located in the town to post security in the form of cash or bond, prior to initiating construction, in order to cover the costs of removing all of the facility upon ceasing operations for a period of more than 12 months, with the amount to be determined by an independent engineer.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: It took a while, but now they're on Wright track - 0
- Newmarket blacksmith has forged a career shaping the elementsof steel - 0
- Kathy Sullivan: We need to rethink some of our county government positions - 0
- Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass. - 0
- H.S. Football Power Poll: No doubt - Astros finish on top - 0
- College Hockey: Wildcats home to RPI on Tuesday night - 0
- Manchester school board OK's contract for driver’s ed program - 0
- Unrest erupts after grand jury decides against charges in Ferguson, Mo., shooting - 0
- Malkin, Crosby foil Bruins in overtime - 0
Clinton has 'historic' lead in poll
Sources say former White House Chief of Staff Andy Card to be tapped as Franklin Pierce president
Randy Johnson, Pedro, Smoltz lead HOF ballot
Tough task for NH budget writers
Pipes and plans: A chance to show up Mass.
Teacher 'thrilled' at being reinstated
Paul, Christie share lead in primary poll