Home » News » Public Safety
Two killed in crash of lacrosse team's bus in Pa.
In addition to the driver, the bus was carrying 23 students and three coaches from Seton Hill University, a Catholic school in Greensburg, Pa., turnpike spokesman Bill Capone said.
The bus was near the Carlisle interchange in central Pennsylvania when it veered off the road, crashed through a fence and slammed into a tree, killing the driver, he said.
Three passengers were flown to Penn State Hershey Medical Center, where one of them died, hospital spokeswoman Danielle Ran said.
"Seton Hill University has learned that the university's head women's lacrosse coach, Kristina Quigley, died of injuries sustained in the crash. Quigley was pregnant, and her unborn baby boy died as a result of the crash as well," school spokeswoman Kary Coleman said in a statement.
The 19 other passengers were not seriously injured, Capone said.
The cause of the crash was unknown, he said.
The lacrosse team was headed to a match at Millersville University in Millersville, Pennsylvania.
Quigley had just begun her second season with the Seton Hill women's lacrosse program, and led the team to 11 victories in her first season, the school said.
Seton Hill will hold a memorial Mass for Quigley and the driver on Sunday, Coleman said.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester man injured in Ohio helicopter crash - 0
- BAE worker suffers electrical shock, injuries not life-threatening - 1
- Tubers lose contact with group, spend night in wooded area - 1
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 9
- Dozens of ill Keith Urban fans treated at concert near Boston - 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 5
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Patriots Notebook: Physical Browner brings it - 0
- Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse - 4
- City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us - 1
- Punch line: The NFL blows it - 1
- George Will: A conservative internationalism - 0
- Sox Beat: Red Sox haven't made a deal for Lester — yet - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: The Democrats' cynical impeachment play - 0
- Drew Cline: Home is where the really competent governing is done - 1
- Two GOP heavyweights try to get NH fired up about 2014 elections - 0
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Heroes all? A word cheapened by overuse
Mark Hayward's City Matters: Market Basket workers' outlook challenges the skeptics among us
Punch line: The NFL blows it
Havenstein says he has always opposed Obamacare, though company he led was paid to implement parts of it
George Will: A conservative internationalism