Home » News » Public Safety
Rumney family home destroyed in Saturday morning fire
Fire Chief Ken Ward said the fire was reported by family members shortly after 7 a.m. at the Buckley residence at 500 Depot St.
"A chimney fire got into the partitions and then got into the roof," he said.
Ward said it took about four hours to bring the fire under control. Firefighters could not get inside the house because the fire was too intense.
"We just couldn't do it, and it just kept spreading," he said.
Ward said it was one of the most difficult fires he's fought in his 42 years on the department.
"It's the first time I had to bring an excavator in to tear the second floor off," just to reach the flames, he said.
Homeowner Charles Buckley was driving out-of-state because of a death in the family when his children called him to tell him about the fire, the chief said.
"It was really tough on him," he said.
A pet hamster perished in the fire.
The chief said the family is staying with friends.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Faulty lamp caused Manchester blaze - 0
- Burning baton twirler attracts Manchester fire truck - 0
- Another plane hits frozen Alton Bay - 0
- Police investigating crash after truck reportedly loses tire in Concord - 1
- Derry firefighters extinguish Jeep fire - 0
- Chemical spill in Newington business sends 6 to the hospital - 0
- Officials investigate suspicious Manchester blaze - 0
- UPDATED: Mass. man charged after hitting barrier at Bedford toll plaza - 2
- Massachusetts woman injured in Milan snowmobile crash - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Excess school money may target crowded classes in Manchester - 0
- Nashua board members apologize for signingCommon Core letter - 0
- Sen. Shaheen participates in all-night climate change ‘talkathon’ - 0
- Ian Clark's On Hockey: Monarchs' Derek Forbort in the right place at the right time - 0
- Educators, advocates speak to new standards for use of force - 0
- Two Manchester health clinics working on merger plan - 0
- Manchester CrimeWatch: City woman connected to fatal crash in court again - 0
- Franklin’s newest police recruit, a German shepherd pup, can smell trouble - 0
- VFW still eyeing old Crown Hill fire station in Nashua for new home - 0
Allenstown rejects town and school budgets
Crowley elected in Northfield
John DiStaso's Granite Status: Shaheen among speakers at Senate Dems' climate change 'talkathon'