Home » News » Public Safety
Rumney family home destroyed in Saturday morning fire
Fire Chief Ken Ward said the fire was reported by family members shortly after 7 a.m. at the Buckley residence at 500 Depot St.
"A chimney fire got into the partitions and then got into the roof," he said.
Ward said it took about four hours to bring the fire under control. Firefighters could not get inside the house because the fire was too intense.
"We just couldn't do it, and it just kept spreading," he said.
Ward said it was one of the most difficult fires he's fought in his 42 years on the department.
"It's the first time I had to bring an excavator in to tear the second floor off," just to reach the flames, he said.
Homeowner Charles Buckley was driving out-of-state because of a death in the family when his children called him to tell him about the fire, the chief said.
"It was really tough on him," he said.
A pet hamster perished in the fire.
The chief said the family is staying with friends.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Driver identified in fatal Northumberland crash - 0
- Warning issued to teens taking the ‘Polar Plunge’ challenge - 0
- Rochester, Dover police to collect expired prescription drugs - 0
- Search for missing swimmer halted in Bristol, to continue Tuesday - 0
- UPDATED: State Police bomb squad called to Manchester West High for plastic bottles of solvent - 0
- Swanzey man pulled from fire in serious condition - 0
- Man dies in Northumberland crash - 0
- Power restored to Hooksett and Candia - 0
- Fire destroys Hanover home - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Supreme Court: Liquor Commission, trial judge did not follow right-to-know law - 0
- AG agrees man who killed woman, 70, in Littleton hotel was insane at time - 0
- Police accuse man of trying to sell guitars, amps taken in Manchester burglary - 0
- Mother and child startled by late-night intruder in their Manchester living room - 0
- Hollis police use stun gun on man described as unruly - 0
- Boston marks anniversary of bombing with somber ceremonies - 0
- Rochester man arrested after crash in Somersworth - 0
- Dover man accused of trying to sexually assault a girl - 0
- Top Manchester school officials no longer must live in city - 9
License revocations for DWI announced
Berlin BioPower plant coming up to speed
Rep. Shea-Porter honored for efforts to aid in health care by National Association of Community Health Centers