Home » News » Public Safety
Rumney family home destroyed in Saturday morning fire
Fire Chief Ken Ward said the fire was reported by family members shortly after 7 a.m. at the Buckley residence at 500 Depot St.
"A chimney fire got into the partitions and then got into the roof," he said.
Ward said it took about four hours to bring the fire under control. Firefighters could not get inside the house because the fire was too intense.
"We just couldn't do it, and it just kept spreading," he said.
Ward said it was one of the most difficult fires he's fought in his 42 years on the department.
"It's the first time I had to bring an excavator in to tear the second floor off," just to reach the flames, he said.
Homeowner Charles Buckley was driving out-of-state because of a death in the family when his children called him to tell him about the fire, the chief said.
"It was really tough on him," he said.
A pet hamster perished in the fire.
The chief said the family is staying with friends.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072