Home » News » Public Safety
Rumney family home destroyed in Saturday morning fire
Fire Chief Ken Ward said the fire was reported by family members shortly after 7 a.m. at the Buckley residence at 500 Depot St.
"A chimney fire got into the partitions and then got into the roof," he said.
Ward said it took about four hours to bring the fire under control. Firefighters could not get inside the house because the fire was too intense.
"We just couldn't do it, and it just kept spreading," he said.
Ward said it was one of the most difficult fires he's fought in his 42 years on the department.
"It's the first time I had to bring an excavator in to tear the second floor off," just to reach the flames, he said.
Homeowner Charles Buckley was driving out-of-state because of a death in the family when his children called him to tell him about the fire, the chief said.
"It was really tough on him," he said.
A pet hamster perished in the fire.
The chief said the family is staying with friends.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Five hikers rescued in separate incidents Saturday - 2
- Powerboat hits canoe on Winnipesaukee - 3
- Police search for driver in Hollis hit-and-run - 1
- Canoe, powerboat collide on Lake Winnipesaukee - 0
- Brothers escape being hit by circling boat - 1
- Cornish truck driver charged in fatal Merrimack crash - 2
- Truck flips on I-93 at Exit 4 on-ramp in Londonderry - 0
- Salem family ldisplaced by house fire - 0
- Mother says Abigail in 'deteriorated' health - 17
READER COMMENTS: 2
- Hassan vetoes bill to impose 'politeness' standards on public employees - 0
- Jailed man faces new charge for allegedly contacting witness - 0
- Abby says it's incredible to be home; mom tells TODAY daughter did not run away - 6
- Nashua man arrested in Brookline stabbing - 0
- Cumberland Farms robbed; third store hit this month in Rochester - 0
- E-cigarettes find a market in NH - 2
- Real estate transfer tax proposal pulled off table - 0
- Protesting information: Picket sign o' the times - 5
- Another View -- Mike Biundo: Where is Shaheen's gas price outrage now? - 6
Protesting workers nix Market Basket amnesty
Gorham man arrested for kidnapping Abigail
LNG plant put 'on hold'
E-cigarettes find a market in NH