Sure a shamrock I'll be wearin',
'Tis in honor of old Erin,
And bad cess to that gossoon who scowls at me.
For this cherished, small possession
Is an eloquent profession,
That my faith is as St. Patrick's used to be.
It's a part of Irish history,
A token of a mystery,
A badge I'll wear commingled with few fears.
It recalls a nation's glories,
And that host of bitter Tories
Who denied her freedom, seven hundred years.
It's a modest plant, symbolic
Of the Kerry dancers' frolic
In the storied glens where love's young dream was born,
And of whispered words at parting,
When the wars would be astarting,
Where the valiant fell, the women left to mourn.
It's a minstrel's song, a sadness,
And a colleen, and a gladness,
It's the sight of things that really are unseen,
A parade with roar and rumble,
And a thing that keeps one humble,
It's St. Patrick's Day, the wearin' o the green.
It's the years of persecution,
And a soggarth's absolution,
It's the hush that comes at Sanctus out in Clare.
It's the blackthorn of O'Mara,
And a moonbeam over Tara,
It's the fragrance of the roses in Kildare.
It's the starlight that is falling
When the River Shannon's calling,
And the heart that aches for beauty heeds the call,
It's a deeply burning sorrow,
And a prayer that some tomorrow
Will return a prodigal to Donegal.
It's a mystic, shining portal
To the land of the immortal,
Where you talk with Dan O'Connells every day,
Where there's little lust for power,
Where there's glory in an hour,
If your name's like Hurley, Manahan, or Shea.
It's a mist around Killarney,
The shillelagh, and the blarney
It's a rosary, the tinkle of a bell,
It's some candlelight agleaming,
It's a sighing and a dreaming
Of a love that has forever cast a spell.
Some sad hour you may find me,
As I leave this world behind me,
Whisht, I know there'll be some stardust in my eyes,
With the leprechauns beguiling,
There'll be tears but there'll be smiling,
For I'll see a three-leafed shamrock in the skies.
READER COMMENTS: 27
- A mom's bail: Getting it right - 0
- Clooney gets it: Sony attack was not a 'crime' - 12
- Proof of Santa here: Hooksett's Dick Marshall, for one - 0
- Christmas spirit: Do you have more than a homeless man? - 1
- The Sony hack: Kim's judgment of Obama - 47
- Obama gets smoked: Castros celebrate in Havana - 38
- On naming the victim: It is Kibby's story now - 0
- After Newtown: A gun rights revival - 39
- Vermont's disaster: An Obamedy of errors - 15
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Two Manchester women arrested in separate shoplifting incidents in Hooksett - 1
- Maine police search car belonging to husband of Londonderry shooting victim - 0
- Man arrested after chase, threatening to shoot police in Bow - 0
- Good Samaritan pins Manchester purse snatcher - 0
- Homeless man who saved woman from river: 'I don't consider myself a hero' - 9
- High School Basketball: Rivalries renewed in QCIBT - 0
- Dave D'Onofrio's Patriots Notebook: Will they get everything on their list? - 0
- Tuohy brothers add new restaurant in familiar spot - 0
- New Horizons volunteers deliver groceries and good cheer, making Christmas special - 0
Londonderry schools placed on lockdown after soldier's unplanned visit to high school causes alarm
Police say woman tried to steal 15 iPads