Sure a shamrock I'll be wearin',
'Tis in honor of old Erin,
And bad cess to that gossoon who scowls at me.
For this cherished, small possession
Is an eloquent profession,
That my faith is as St. Patrick's used to be.
It's a part of Irish history,
A token of a mystery,
A badge I'll wear commingled with few fears.
It recalls a nation's glories,
And that host of bitter Tories
Who denied her freedom, seven hundred years.
It's a modest plant, symbolic
Of the Kerry dancers' frolic
In the storied glens where love's young dream was born,
And of whispered words at parting,
When the wars would be astarting,
Where the valiant fell, the women left to mourn.
It's a minstrel's song, a sadness,
And a colleen, and a gladness,
It's the sight of things that really are unseen,
A parade with roar and rumble,
And a thing that keeps one humble,
It's St. Patrick's Day, the wearin' o the green.
It's the years of persecution,
And a soggarth's absolution,
It's the hush that comes at Sanctus out in Clare.
It's the blackthorn of O'Mara,
And a moonbeam over Tara,
It's the fragrance of the roses in Kildare.
It's the starlight that is falling
When the River Shannon's calling,
And the heart that aches for beauty heeds the call,
It's a deeply burning sorrow,
And a prayer that some tomorrow
Will return a prodigal to Donegal.
It's a mystic, shining portal
To the land of the immortal,
Where you talk with Dan O'Connells every day,
Where there's little lust for power,
Where there's glory in an hour,
If your name's like Hurley, Manahan, or Shea.
It's a mist around Killarney,
The shillelagh, and the blarney
It's a rosary, the tinkle of a bell,
It's some candlelight agleaming,
It's a sighing and a dreaming
Of a love that has forever cast a spell.
Some sad hour you may find me,
As I leave this world behind me,
Whisht, I know there'll be some stardust in my eyes,
With the leprechauns beguiling,
There'll be tears but there'll be smiling,
For I'll see a three-leafed shamrock in the skies.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ask SCORE: Getting help with routine chores allows owners to focus on critical issues - 0
- Another View - Richard Ober: We have to act now to stop the decline in NH's future prospects - 0
- Another View: Gordon Humphrey -- Rubens will bring principled, courageous leadership to Senate - 0
- Firefly dress could set the world on fire - 0
- As school year starts, talk of new testing begins in Manchester - 0
- Wildcats focus on positives following opening loss - 0
- NHIAA Field Hockey Preview: Exeter, Pinkerton girls thinking big - 0
- Frank Jones' foray into ale-making in Portsmouth is a success - 0
- The JV team: Obama's unbelievable admission - 0
Two killed in North Hampton plane crash
Sherborne takes Manchester city golf crown
DWI License Revocations