Home » News » Public Safety
House fire injures homeowner, Londonderry firefighter
Shortly before midnight Saturday a building fire was reported at 29 Elwood Road. Heavy flames were pouring from the rear of the home when firefighters arrived, Fire Marshal Brian Johnson said. The occupants, the owner and a tenant in a downstairs in-law apartment, were evacuated from the building.
Town assessment records indicate the wood-sided, split-level residence is owned by Nancy Cooper. Johnson said the owner was taken to Parkland Medical Center in Derry, where she was admitted overnight for treatment of minor injuries.
The tenant wasn't injured, but a Londonderry firefighter was burned and is in stable condition at the Derry hospital.
Johnson said firefighters had the fire under control by 2:30 a.m. Sunday morning, about a quarter of the building was affected.
A four-member American Red Cross Volunteer Disaster Action Team turned out to help, according to Red Cross spokeswoman Lisa Michaud.
The team was able to assist one of the fire victims with immediate needs such as warm clothing and food, Michaud said Sunday. Both victims were referred to additional organizations to help them with long-term recovery.
"We offer assistance to everyone," Michaud said. "But depending on their situation, not everyone accepts."
A Red Cross caseworker will follow up with the fire victims should they need assistance with shelter or other resources in the coming days, she said.
Several hours later, Londonderry firefighters responded to a second house fire at 5 Shenandoah Ave. They arrived shortly after 5:30 a.m. to smoke pouring from the building.
The home was empty when firefighters arrived and the fire was under control in less than a half hour, Johnson said.
Damage was contained to a single room and contents on the structure's lower level. The home sustained minor smoke and water damage.
Fire officials believe an electrical malfunction sparked the blaze.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Durham fire chief considered for similar post in Natick, Mass. - 0
- Wood-drying kiln heavily damaged by fire - 0
- FinneRageTV uses Keene for promotion - 0
- After Keene riot, PSU campus on alert as party plan is spread by social media - 0
- 2-alarm Manchester fire displaces 10 - 0
- Missing Mason man found dead - 0
- Nashua police chief to retire - 0
- Pinkerton student taken to hospital after being hit by car - 1
- Heroin overdoses claim two in Laconia - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Cross Country: Moskowitz, Kimball primed for Meet of Champions battle - 0
- Salem coach Rich has seen playoff runs from both sidelines - 0
- Monarchs' Schultz leads by example - 0
- Manchester Marathon day to draw about 1,700 runners - 0
- Roger Brown's First and 10: Londonderry vs. Salem is a playoff contest - 0
- Another View - Jeanne Shaheen: What it means to put New Hampshire first - 2
- Another View -- Scott Brown: To change direction, we need to change senators - 6
- Patricia LaFrance: For Hillsborough County Attorney - 1
- Misleading women: Does Kuster think they're bad at math? - 5
Manchester pub crawl leads to arrest of four
School's out for voters