Home » Opinion » Editorials
The world's new Pope: His voice is very much needed
It is a big deal because the world - Catholic, Christian, and non-Christian alike - still needs a Pope. It needs one, in fact, more than ever.
The world, for all its successes, is in a bad way in many respects.
The disrespect for human life is rampant. Crimes against children, including of a sordid sexual nature (some committed by the church's own priests), underscore that disrespect.
Evil exists, as it always has and always will. But so does good. And voices for good - courageous voices, God-fearing voices - must rise above the din to preach God's word and to live it by example. It seems that new Pope Francis is such a voice.
The TV talking heads will soon focus on other things of the moment, and they will only return to the new pontiff when he reiterates some part of Christ's teachings that they find less than "progressive." But this will not deter him, nor should it discourage people from paying attention to him.
The loudest sound emanating from St. Peter's Square last Wednesday evening was not the roar of approval when the white smoke was spotted. It was the silence that followed this humble man's first action as Holy Father. It was not to offer a prayer for the people but a request that the people pray for him. They did. And we all should.
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies - 5
- Editorial: Jim Adams The GOP choice in Council Dist. 4 - 0
- NH's immigrants: Welcome the ones from Mass. - 13
- Pope’s call-out Where’s the Muslim outrage? - 5
- Free state garden: Weeding is always good - 30
- August recess: Whither our NH representatives? - 1
- Portsmouth saga: Was this 'Officer Too-Friendly?' - 1
- Armed to the teeth, national media discover Bearcats - 21
- Market Basket fallout: Most innocent bystanders - 14
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Concord man charged in downtown stabbing - 0
- GPS device locates stolen truck in Merrimack - 1
- Traffic signal stop leads to drug arrest in Merrimack - 0
- NH Fisher Cats slam way to win over Trenton - 0
- Officials hire principal for Golden Brook school - 0
- Seniors help students start year on the right foot, with the write stuff - 0
- Derry councilors select semi-finalists for town admin job - 0
- Plaistow begins search for new police chief - 0
- Without an exemption, Goffstown resident must pay high taxes on solar energy panels - 1
Derry to NH: Take Exit 4A
Editorial: Garcia gains Lambert lies