Home » Opinion » Editorials
The world's new Pope: His voice is very much needed
It is a big deal because the world - Catholic, Christian, and non-Christian alike - still needs a Pope. It needs one, in fact, more than ever.
The world, for all its successes, is in a bad way in many respects.
The disrespect for human life is rampant. Crimes against children, including of a sordid sexual nature (some committed by the church's own priests), underscore that disrespect.
Evil exists, as it always has and always will. But so does good. And voices for good - courageous voices, God-fearing voices - must rise above the din to preach God's word and to live it by example. It seems that new Pope Francis is such a voice.
The TV talking heads will soon focus on other things of the moment, and they will only return to the new pontiff when he reiterates some part of Christ's teachings that they find less than "progressive." But this will not deter him, nor should it discourage people from paying attention to him.
The loudest sound emanating from St. Peter's Square last Wednesday evening was not the roar of approval when the white smoke was spotted. It was the silence that followed this humble man's first action as Holy Father. It was not to offer a prayer for the people but a request that the people pray for him. They did. And we all should.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Page One Editorial: Control of NH’s future: Today’s House vote will be one for the ages - 17
- Consider Nevada: Gambling always expands - 9
- Missing the point: The IRS scandal and state power - 25
- Helping panhandlers: A method worth trying in Manchester - 7
- For the people: A century of the NH primary - 0
- What innovation? The casino way is the lazy way - 10
- Not so merry: Giving Robin Hood a bad name - 4
- Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse - 15
- Underestimating NH: Gun control picks two wrong targets - 35
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NH Senate kills House-passed gas, tobacco tax hikes - 0
- Senate Finance Committee rejects Medicaid expansion - 5
- Man wielding pipe robs Cumberland Farms in Goffstown - 0
- Buchholz moves to 7-0 as Red Sox post win - 0
- Gambling bill scuttled, 'Now it is going to be really tough' for budget - 29
- NHIAA Roundup: BG girls’ tennis team sweeps Pinkerton - 0
- NHIAA box scores, summaries for May 22 - 0
- Officials say Goffstown High ‘safe’ after threat of violence - 1
- Manchester Community College graduates told ‘speak your minds’ - 0
License revocations for DWI announced
Memorial Day events in New Hampshire