Home » Opinion » Editorials
Casino revenues: Who will resist the temptation?
Last week the state Senate voted 16-8 to bring a casino to New Hampshire. Support came from the usual suspects - Lou "Diamond" D'Allesandro, D-Millenium Gaming, and Chuck Morse, R-Salem, principally - and new converts. Sen. Molly Kelly, D-Keene, for example, is not what one would call a gambling enthusaist. She voted for a casino, she said, because the state really needs the money.
The state's current revenue problems, though, are more economic than structural in nature. Grafting a casino onto the state's revenue structure will not solve them. Though we are not sure how well she gets the first part, Sen. Martha Fuller Clark, D-Portsmouth, was a voice of reason last week in explaining the second.
Casino revenues, she correctly observed, are never as robust as promised, and they are always unreliable. They will be no panacea for New Hampshire's current budget problems, and the tide of other problems that washes in with them will cause trouble for this state forever after.
Though we seldom see eye to eye with Sen. Fuller-Clark, she deserves a lot of credit for refusing to be seduced by the Casino God's promise of revenue riches. The economy's temporary struggles are no justification for permanently changing the culture of New Hampshire. May the House remember that.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you - 55
- Portman's good point: A leadership deficit all around - 3
- Wheeler in Dist. 5: A GOP fighter for the little guy - 3
- GOP for legal pot? Hemignway's high help - 12
- Obama's indecision: In NH, only Ayotte urges action - 50
- Concealed controversy: Our 'Mother, may I' gun policy - 46
- Innis in the 1st: A strong choice for Congress - 11
- Obama waits: A terror threat grows - 41
- For U.S. Senate, Scott Brown best NH candidate come November - 73
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
- Russian troops capture key Ukrainian town - 0
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name
Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test