Monarchs' climb gets tougher with Sunday loss to Providence
For the second straight game, the Monarchs couldn't generate offense, falling to Atlantic Division-leading Providence, 3-1, at the Dunkin' Donuts Center on Sunday.
Manchester (29-26-3-4) is in 10th place in the Eastern Conference with 65 points. Manchester, with 14 games left, is tied for ninth with Albany and is three points behind seventh-place teams Hershey and Connecticut. The top eight teams qualify for the conference playoffs.
"We actually played fairly well," said Monarchs head coach Mark Morris. "The result wasn't great but I felt we competed a lot harder and tried to execute the details of the game."
Manchester opened the three-game weekend with a 3-2 home win against Bridgeport on Friday. On Saturday, the Monarchs were 0-for-7 on the power play and lost 3-0 to the host Whale.
Manchester tied the game Sunday with a goal by center Jordan Weal at 12:48 of the second period.
Center Ryan Spooner regained the lead (2-1) for the Bruins with a goal at 19:58 of the second period. Graham Mink made it 3-1 in the third period. The Bruins' first-period tally was from Maxime Suave.
Monarchs goaltender Jean-Francois Berube, making his first start since April 11, 2010, stopped 34 shots.
The Monarchs play next on Wednesday at Springfield.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Monarchs roll up their sleeves for Game 4 - 0
- Jones, Monarchs stay alive with Game 3 win - 0
- Monarchs in must-win situation Thursday night in Manchester - 0
- Second close loss in two days puts Monarchs in 0-2 playoff hole - 0
- Monarchs edged in overtime in playoff opener - 0
- Allen Lessels' On Hockey: Trying to stay on a roll - 1
- Monarchs complete amazing late-season surge to clinch playoff spot - 1
- Monarchs vault into playoff position - 0
- On Hockey: Monarchs need one final playoff push - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rabid raccoons in Hanover raise ‘rabies season’ concerns - 0
- Wanted fugitive arrested by U.S. Marshals in Manchester - 0
- Gregg named CEO of Wall Street lobbying group - 1
- Portsmouth woman faces up to life in prison in fatal overdose - 0
- Mass. sex offender indicted for sex assault on child at Plaistow Walmart - 0
- Home care worker indicted for kidnapping, sexual assault of male client - 0
- Police say house guest helped himself to credit card - 0
- Police say women were smoking crack with 2-year-old in car - 0
- Tools, copper piping stolen from construction trailers in Manchester - 0
Town may have to fix grave error
UNH hires firm to redesign one of its logos
Disengaged: Obama's lousy excuse
Chechen decries Boston attack