Laconia High junior, Francis Wayland Parker Scholar of the Month, looks beyond the books
"Shedding conventional tools and books, teachers have developed their own techniques and methods," Pond wrote in her winning essay. "They make learning interesting, engaging students."
Pond, a junior who is second in her class, said she was thrilled to be selected.
"Oh I was shocked," she said. "I didn't expect to be a finalist at all and didn't expect to win."
Pond said she is interested in studying either science or English when she goes to college. Her selection as the Scholar of the Month may have inspired her to pursue writing or teaching, she said.
"Seeing that I can write something and be acknowledged like this is really encouraging," Pond said.
The Francis Wayland Parker Scholar program is sponsored by the New Hampshire Association of School Principals, in cooperation with the New Hampshire Union Leader, Lifetouch Studios and the Coca-Cola Bottling Co. of Northern New England.
Other nominees for February were:
Amy Sharpe, Hopkinton High School; Jacob Parzych, Campbell High School; Gergana Alteva, Lebanon High School; Sabrina Tedeschi, Plymouth Regional High School; Sara Topic, Manchester Central High School; Keegan Caraway, Mascoma Valley Regional High School; Christian Leefmans, Exeter High School and Noah Cote, Manchester High School West.
To improve the chance of seeing your comment posted here or published in the New Hampshire Union Leader:
- Identify yourself. Accounts using fake or incomplete names are suspended regardless of the quality of posts.
- Say something new, stay on topic, keep it short.
- Links to outside URLs are discouraged, if used they should be on topic.
- Avoid comments in bad taste, write well, avoid using all capital letters
- Don't cite facts about individuals or businesses without providing a means to verify the claim
- If you see an objectionable comment please click the "Report Abuse" button and be sure to tell us why.
Note: Comments are the opinion of the respective poster and not of the publisher.Be the first to comment.