In Weare sex assault case, one makes bail, another still jailedBy NANCY BEAN FOSTER
Union Leader Correspondent
March 18. 2013 9:34PM
WEARE - Two men charged in connection with sexually assaulting a 20-year-old woman last week were arraigned in Goffstown District Court Monday.
On Wednesday, March 13, Tyler Janvrin, 20, of 71 Daniels Road in Weare, and James Cheney, 21, of 9 Snows Court in Dover, allegedly picked up the victim in Dover and drove her to Janvrin's apartment in Weare, said Sgt. Joe Kelley of the Weare Police Department. At the apartment, the two men allegedly held the woman against her will and repeatedly sexually assaulted her.
After the woman returned to the Dover area, she sought medical attention at a local hospital and police were brought in to investigate.
On Friday, they arrested Janvrin in Weare and charged him with two counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, two counts of simple assault, false imprisonment, criminal restraint and witness tampering. Janvrin, according to Kelley, was held on $50,000 cash-only bail. At his arraignment on Monday at Goffstown District Court, bail was continued at $50,000 and Janvrin was returned to Valley Street Jail in Manchester pending a probable cause hearing.
Kelley said Janvrin was on parole for an attempted armed robbery of a Dover liquor store in 2011. According to Foster's Daily Democrat, Janvrin, armed with a shotgun, attempted to rob Smiley's Beverage Center on Main Street in January 2011 but was thwarted by store clerks. He was arrested and later served time for the crime.
Cheney, the son of Dover City Counselor and former Strafford County Commissioner Catherine Cheney, was arrested Friday at his mother's home on Snows Court.
The Eagle Scout, who was charged with four counts of aggravated felonious sexual assault, two counts of simple assault, false imprisonment, criminal restraint, and witness tampering, was released over the weekend on $25,000 cash-only bail, according to Kelley. He was also arraigned on Monday at Goffstown District Court and will return for a probable cause hearing.
Both Cheney and Janvrin have been ordered to have no contact with the alleged victim.
Reached at her home by phone on Monday, Catherine Cheney refused to comment on the case.