Home » News » Public Safety
Dust causes fire in Rochester industrial plant
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 1:11 p.m. after dust inside the ductworks caused a fire at Spaulding Composites Inc. at 55 Nadeau Drive, according to Fire Chief Norm Sanborn.
"There were smoldering fires throughout the ducts," Sanborn said, adding firefighters used inspection doors to extinguish the hot spots in 300 feet of ducts.
Sanborn said the first alarm fire recalled firefighters from Rochester while calling in assistance from Dover and Durham, including a rapid intervention team as a precaution. All of the employees were able to safely evacuate from the building and none of the workers or firefighters sustained injuries from the fire, according to Sanborn.
Sanborn said the employees were sent home because it took hours to inspect the system. He added the fire was under control at 2:41 p.m., but as of 6 p.m., some firefighters remained at the scene to help maintenance crews inspect and clean the system.
"There's still some areas which are still smoldering now," Sanborn said, adding it will take time to ensure the fire is out and doesn't rekindle in the ducts.
Spaulding Composites manufactures a variety of components for heavy equipment, air tools, cryogenics, bearing retainers and other specialty items.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Manchester police honor their own for dedicated service - 0
- Damage from water main break closes portion of Allds Street in Nashua - 0
- Former UNH police chief remembered as 'amazing leader' - 0
- Pinkerton warns community of person soliciting students - 0
- Oil tanker strikes Memorial Bridge early Friday - 1
- Firefighters battle blaze at Pittsfield pizza plant - 0
- Water main break in downtown Nashua - 0
- Manchester fire heavily damages one apartment - 0
- Derry teen credited with saving home from kitchen fire - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Merrimack survives scare - 0
- NHIAA Tournament Roundup: Central breaks away from Exeter - 0
- College Hockey: Dartmouth drops tournament opener - 0
- FEMA OKs $8m for repairs in Lincoln, Lebanon - 0
- Official says Manchester lost out on $1.5m for cell tower court has now ordered built - 5
- John Habib's City Sports: Derryfield's 'Mouse' made his mark - 1
- Rondo leads Celtics past Nets - 0
- Hats off to O'Neill, Monarchs - 0
- NHIAA Boys' Basketball: Maughn, Memorial top Londonderry - 0
Obamacare's new trick: Only temporary relief