Home » News » Public Safety
Dust causes fire in Rochester industrial plant
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 1:11 p.m. after dust inside the ductworks caused a fire at Spaulding Composites Inc. at 55 Nadeau Drive, according to Fire Chief Norm Sanborn.
"There were smoldering fires throughout the ducts," Sanborn said, adding firefighters used inspection doors to extinguish the hot spots in 300 feet of ducts.
Sanborn said the first alarm fire recalled firefighters from Rochester while calling in assistance from Dover and Durham, including a rapid intervention team as a precaution. All of the employees were able to safely evacuate from the building and none of the workers or firefighters sustained injuries from the fire, according to Sanborn.
Sanborn said the employees were sent home because it took hours to inspect the system. He added the fire was under control at 2:41 p.m., but as of 6 p.m., some firefighters remained at the scene to help maintenance crews inspect and clean the system.
"There's still some areas which are still smoldering now," Sanborn said, adding it will take time to ensure the fire is out and doesn't rekindle in the ducts.
Spaulding Composites manufactures a variety of components for heavy equipment, air tools, cryogenics, bearing retainers and other specialty items.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Report due soon on alleged abuse at neuro-rehab centers - 0
- Five state police cruisers among many accidents due to storm - 0
- Person found dead in Manchester alley - 0
- Rymes Oil employees pull Bradford man from flaming wreck, but driver succumbs to injuries - 0
- Keene man killed in work accident in Troy Monday - 0
- Teen driver dies after being pulled from icy waters in Londonderry - 8
- Trio escapes Claremont fire after smoke wakes resident - 0
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries in Little Cohas Brook crash - 0
- Tractor-trailer pulls down poles, wires, closing part of Route 28 in Epsom - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Celtics Insider: Celtics rule Smart out of tomorrow's game against Chicago - 0
- Berube the backbone of Monarchs' team 'D' - 0
- Packers QB Revis will pose a challenge for Patriots - 0
- Hudson may start charging for non-transport ambulance calls - 0
- NH suffers 4th worst outage on record - 0
- Camping out didn't pay for shoppers - 0
- Newsreel: Concord economic forecast; Tech Council hosts forum; UNH Fairchild Dairy honored - 0
- Londonderry-based MegaFood launches transparency project in vitamin industry - 0
- Grant program to help Granite State students with loans - 0
Person found dead in Manchester alley
On being American: A point for reflection
Your Turn, NH -- Mike Moffett: Republicans can win in 2016 with Kasich at the top of the ticket
NH suffers 4th worst outage on record
Pat Buchanan: What to make of Ferguson?