Home » News » Public Safety
Dust causes fire in Rochester industrial plant
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded at 1:11 p.m. after dust inside the ductworks caused a fire at Spaulding Composites Inc. at 55 Nadeau Drive, according to Fire Chief Norm Sanborn.
"There were smoldering fires throughout the ducts," Sanborn said, adding firefighters used inspection doors to extinguish the hot spots in 300 feet of ducts.
Sanborn said the first alarm fire recalled firefighters from Rochester while calling in assistance from Dover and Durham, including a rapid intervention team as a precaution. All of the employees were able to safely evacuate from the building and none of the workers or firefighters sustained injuries from the fire, according to Sanborn.
Sanborn said the employees were sent home because it took hours to inspect the system. He added the fire was under control at 2:41 p.m., but as of 6 p.m., some firefighters remained at the scene to help maintenance crews inspect and clean the system.
"There's still some areas which are still smoldering now," Sanborn said, adding it will take time to ensure the fire is out and doesn't rekindle in the ducts.
Spaulding Composites manufactures a variety of components for heavy equipment, air tools, cryogenics, bearing retainers and other specialty items.
READER COMMENTS: 5
- State bomb squad explodes suspicious package in Salem parking lot - 0
- Bodies of downed plane's passengers leave Ukraine crash site for return to Netherlands - 0
- 30-year-old man found dead in Laconia apartment - 0
- AG: Missing Conway teen Abigail Hernandez reunited with family - 10
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Police say North Country motor vehicle deaths down - 0
- Hiker rescued from Mount Washington - 0
- Conn. pair injured in ATV rollover in Henniker - 0
- Boy injured on bicycle, hit by pickup in Keene - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Ortiz, Drew (4 RBIs each) lead Red Sox hit parade against Blue Jays - 0
- Nashua settles suit over gas collection system - 0
- Police say boy, 6, found in getaway car - 0
- Dover mortorcyclist taken to Maine hospital after crash - 0
- NH girls tie, boys fall in Lions Cup soccer - 0
- Market Basket workers urged to 'shut it down'; deposed CEO urges fired workers be given jobs back - 2
- Nashua Medal of Honor recipient: 'There was valor everywhere' - 0
- Friend of accused Boston bomber found guilty of obstructing justice - 0
- Texas governor to deploy 1,000 National Guard troops to border - 3
DWI License Revocations
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility