Home » News » Public Safety
Rumney family unbowed by fire that destroyed home
The home of the Buckley family in Rumney was destroyed by fire Saturday morning. (DAN SEUFERT PHOTO)
"Everyone's healthy, that's the key," Charles Buckley said with a grin. "We lost some material things, but we're Christians and Christ is still on the throne, so we'll be fine."
Buckley and his wife were away from the family's three-story, 5,300-square-foot home at 500 Depot St. when firefighters said a fire in the home's chimney spread to the attic. Buckley's wife was out of state, attending the funeral of her sister, and Charles Buckley was elsewhere in town.
Kristen, 15, said she was sleeping when her sister Shaina, 18, woke her up at about 7 a.m. Saturday.
"The smoke alarms were going off and the neighbors were calling saying the house was on fire," she said. "I could see the smoke in the house as we got outside."
Both fled the house, making sure they got the family's dog and two cats were safe with them. The family hamster died in the fire.
Family and friends comforted the sisters and her father as the house burned.
"I didn't realize the whole house was going to burn up, or I would have gotten more from inside before I left," Kristen Buckley said.
The family is living in a home with the help of friends. They were loaned several laptops by a local business, which will help Charles Buckley keep his engineering business going.
The house was fully insured, Buckley said.
"Now it's just a matter of my wife picking a new house plan, however long that takes," he said. "We'll get the new one built quickly."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Hiker rescued from Mount Washington - 0
- Conn. pair injured in ATV rollover in Henniker - 0
- Boy injured on bicycle, hit by pickup in Keene - 0
- Manchester driver dead in crash on I-293 - 0
- Fire destroys historic downtown Berlin building - 0
- Three-alarm fire destroys garage in Nottingham - 0
- Manchester man killed on I-293 apparently unconscious before crash - 0
- Fire destroys another historic Berlin building - 0
- Manchester woman injured in motorcycle crash dies - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Rochester gas station robbed; Police: Could be one in string - 0
- Maine man hurt in ATV accident in northern NH - 0
- Katie McQuaid's Scene In Manchester: Tracking street crime is her game - 0
- Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal - 7
- On Baseball: NH's Anderson glad to be back - 0
- Republican congressional candidate Lambert says he'd serve only 3 terms - 1
- Joe McQuaid's Publisher's Notebook: The grandson also rises - 1
- Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility - 4
- You Turn, NH -- Suellen Griffin: There is first aid for mental health, too, and it works - 0
DWI License Revocations
Market Basket shelves growing bare
Shaheen's record: On insurance, it is dismal
Anti-SUV flop: Americans love utility