Home » News » Public Safety
Rumney family unbowed by fire that destroyed home
"Everyone's healthy, that's the key," Charles Buckley said with a grin. "We lost some material things, but we're Christians and Christ is still on the throne, so we'll be fine."
Buckley and his wife were away from the family's three-story, 5,300-square-foot home at 500 Depot St. when firefighters said a fire in the home's chimney spread to the attic. Buckley's wife was out of state, attending the funeral of her sister, and Charles Buckley was elsewhere in town.
Kristen, 15, said she was sleeping when her sister Shaina, 18, woke her up at about 7 a.m. Saturday.
"The smoke alarms were going off and the neighbors were calling saying the house was on fire," she said. "I could see the smoke in the house as we got outside."
Both fled the house, making sure they got the family's dog and two cats were safe with them. The family hamster died in the fire.
Family and friends comforted the sisters and her father as the house burned.
"I didn't realize the whole house was going to burn up, or I would have gotten more from inside before I left," Kristen Buckley said.
The family is living in a home with the help of friends. They were loaned several laptops by a local business, which will help Charles Buckley keep his engineering business going.
The house was fully insured, Buckley said.
"Now it's just a matter of my wife picking a new house plan, however long that takes," he said. "We'll get the new one built quickly."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Police ready to make a wardrobe change - 0
- Man, 41, dies after his car hits utility pole by Nashua library - 0
- Derry fire displaces five - 0
- Two fall about 50 feet from Crotched Mountain ski lift - 1
- Three-alarm fire levels Loudon garage - 0
- Man, 41, dies when car hits pole in front of Nashua Library - 0
- Windsor man seriously injured in Bennington crash with logging truck - 0
- Hollis teen mourned after fatal crash on turnpike - 1
- AG reports progress in search for Hernandez; defends not releasing sensitive information - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Sports Briefs: Broncos’ Welker to miss tonight’s game - 0
- Doc has his night in Boston - 0
- Airlines, weapon makers were the best for shareholders in 2013 - 0
- FDA unveils plan to rein in antibiotics on farms - 0
- Outlet malls: Not what they used to be - 0
- Calif. outlaws ‘revenge porn' - 0
- Kuster launches 'Holiday Cards for Heroes' - 0
- Minor bus accident in Derry blamed on icy roads - 0
- Mega Millions jackpot expected to reach $400m - 0
'From Bimah to Broadway' in Queen City
Win tickets to see Medium Lauren Rainbow
Win tickets to see Disney on Ice!
Where is Benghazi? Kuster's refusal to stand
Shea-Porter: GOP ad about ACA in NH is false
- Would you support spending local tax dollars to buy your police department a $250K armored vehicle?
- Total Votes: 1072