Home » News » Public Safety
Rumney family unbowed by fire that destroyed home
"Everyone's healthy, that's the key," Charles Buckley said with a grin. "We lost some material things, but we're Christians and Christ is still on the throne, so we'll be fine."
Buckley and his wife were away from the family's three-story, 5,300-square-foot home at 500 Depot St. when firefighters said a fire in the home's chimney spread to the attic. Buckley's wife was out of state, attending the funeral of her sister, and Charles Buckley was elsewhere in town.
Kristen, 15, said she was sleeping when her sister Shaina, 18, woke her up at about 7 a.m. Saturday.
"The smoke alarms were going off and the neighbors were calling saying the house was on fire," she said. "I could see the smoke in the house as we got outside."
Both fled the house, making sure they got the family's dog and two cats were safe with them. The family hamster died in the fire.
Family and friends comforted the sisters and her father as the house burned.
"I didn't realize the whole house was going to burn up, or I would have gotten more from inside before I left," Kristen Buckley said.
The family is living in a home with the help of friends. They were loaned several laptops by a local business, which will help Charles Buckley keep his engineering business going.
The house was fully insured, Buckley said.
"Now it's just a matter of my wife picking a new house plan, however long that takes," he said. "We'll get the new one built quickly."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Merrimack fire quickly doused - 0
- UPDATED: One seriously hurt, 12 homeless after early morning Manchester fire - 0
- Snowmobiler injured while riding on Thornton golf course - 0
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 0
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
- Most property owners clear hydrants of snow - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Nashua mayor: Greeley Park is right spot for playground - 0
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents