New Londonderry church construction ahead of schedule
A member of Orchard Christian Fellowship writes a personal message of faith on the interior wall of the congregation's new Pillsbury Road church on a recent Sunday. (COURTESY)
On Friday morning, around 60 members of the Orchard Christian Fellowship stood on the sidewalk, watching in silence as construction crews hoisted the church steeple onto the building's roof. Construction on the 5,800-square-foot church, which is located next door to the town's Historic Society complex on Pillsbury Road, began in early December.
Pastor Ken Glazier said the goal is for the 325-member congregation to move into its new home by July 1, though with the project coming along way ahead of schedule, that day might come somewhat sooner.
Project manager Steve Miron of Northpoint Construction in Hudson said that despite the snowy winter, things are coming along quite well. Miron said the 25-member construction crew has made significant progress.
Glazier said his congregation, which currently holds its Sunday worship services and Christian education programs at Matthew Thornton Elementary School, continues to grow.
On a recent Sunday, parishioners entered the new building with Sharpie markers in hand, leaving heartfelt personal messages and their favorite Bible verses on the building's interior walls.
"We're beyond excited to finally have a permanent place to call home," Glazier said.
Parishioner Lee Carvill, who serves on the church building committee, said the finished facility would seat up to 300 people and also feature a lobby area, an office and a nursery.
Orchard Christian Fellowship was formed in 2008, after a group of parishioners split from the nearby Londonderry Presbyterian Church to form its own congregation.
Updates on the construction process will be posted regularly on the church's Facebook page, The Orchard.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Another View - Charles Lane: Obama's wedge issue is the seductive lure of golf - 0
- Jonah Goldberg: If the Islamic State is not evil, then what is? - 2
- George Will: Will we build the Navy we need? - 1
- Betsy McCaughey: Congress should take the lead on Iraq - 2
- Another View - Rick Santorum: When Israel needs our help, we have to be there - 0
- Thomas Sowell: Liberal urban police policies won't quell riots - 0
- Another View -- Frank Guinta: I am uniquely qualified to represent NH in Congress - 12
- Deroy Murdock: The indictment of Rick Perry is bizarre and unfounded - 0
- Another View - Marc Champion: A strong terror policy would cure Obama's golf woes - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- On Baseball: Fisher Cats manager Meacham learned a few things, too - 0
- First and 10: Old No. 1 begins as new No. 1 - 0
- NHIAA Girls' Soccer Preview: All eyes on Bedford, Exeter - 0
- Another View -- Dan McGuire: We Free Staters are not some threat to be feared - 0
- Taxpayer rights: Left, right should restore them - 0
- Hooksett highs: A good multiple choice test - 0
- No paper Monday - 0
- Patriots' Garoppolo solid, but Giants eke out 16-13 win in preseason finale - 0
- Education business tax credit program upheld - 0
Enter to win tickets to see Paula Poundstone
Win tickets to see Steven Wright
Where is Shaheen? Hiding from you
Weekly brother gave police wrong name