Amherst students show off poise, enthusiasm in speaking contest
From left, Kate Boyea, Kate Eastland, Kaitlin Griffin and Sean Corrigan, students at Amherst Middle School, receive awards during the school's annual Wells' Public Speaking Contest recently. (COURTESY)
The finalists from this year's contest were: fifth-grader Kate Boyea with her presentation of "Gingerbread Fred," sixth-grader Kate Eastland with "The Paper Bag Princess," and seventh-grader Kaitlin Griffin, with her personal memory of "The Juice Fiasco." Seventh-grader Sean Corrigan was given the Aaron Ebbert Award for enthusiasm and excellence in public speaking.
Students were required to choose a story or picture book that inspired them, memorize it and then perform it for their classroom before taking the stage in front of the entire grade level.
"The performances were exceptional. The students dazzled the audience with enthusiasm, poise and talent," said a release from the school. "It was an outstanding evening of excitement and entertainment, and we look forward to seeing what next year will bring."
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Three named to Manchester school posts - 0
- Derry Early Education Program to relocate - 0
- Manchester panel OKs new academic standards, despite Common Core criticism - 2
- Nashua school staff see tests as key to tracking student growth - 0
- Two Manchester schools off 'priority' list - 0
- Nashua officials seek advice on issue of student cellphone searches vs. privacy - 9
- Manchester school district makes bid to run Job Corps center - 2
- NEASC votes to reaccredit Central High - 1
- Londonderry school policy updates sought - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Charles M. Arlinghaus: Taxation without representation again? - 1
- Distracted legislating: Our baseless cellphone ban - 0
- Another View -- Betsy McCaughey: Our free lunch President - 0
- Another View -- Karlyn Borysenko: Workplace bullying is a serious problem, governor - 0
- Workplace abuse: Governor gets one right - 0
- Red Sox pull Lester from Wednesday start amid trade rumors - 0
- Accused Abby kidnapper Kibby had past minor brushes with police - 0
- Police say youths at New Boston underage drinking party resisted arrest - 1
- Man hospitalized following Rochester shooting; suspect still at large - 0
Market Basket community waits and watches
Win tickets to see ZZ Top
Win tickets to see the Pretty Reckless
Abby's alleged kidnapper held on $1M bail
Dover man sought in Rochester shooting
Supporters are now 'Abby Strong'
Canobie Lake Park shuts down popular ride