Home » News » Public Safety
Mother, daughter hurt in Spaulding Highway crash in Dover
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 4 p.m. after hearing that a vehicle overturned in the northbound lane along Route 16 - the Spaulding Turnpike - between the bridge and the tolls.
It turned out the accident happened in the southbound lane just before the bridge, according to Fire Lt. Steve Lesniak. Lesniak said two women - a mother and her adult daughter - were inside the vehicle when it flipped onto the driver's side, entrapping the daughter. He added firefighters were able to rescue the mother through the rear window, but had to stabilize the vehicle and use hydraulic equipment to free the driver.
"We had to cut open the roof and peel it back," Lesniak said, adding it took about 90 minutes to rescue the daughter.
Lesniak said the late-winter storm caused additional problems for emergency personnel.
"It was pretty bad - blowing snow and sleet over everything," Lesniak said, adding firefighters had to protect the two women from the elements while keeping their tools and equipment - especially the stretchers - covered as the snow kept coming.
Lesniak said firefighters were able to keep two of the southbound lanes, including the high-speed lane, open during the process.
He added ambulance crews from Dover and Newington transported the two women, who both sustained non-life threatening injuries, to Portsmouth Regional Hospital.
The identities of the two women had not been released Tuesday afternoon. The accident is being investigated by members of N.H. State Police from Troop A, which patrols Rockingham and Strafford counties.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- UPDATE: Police say man found dead outside Wall Street Towers jumped - 5
- Concord police stun, arrest gun rights protester after officer touched on shoulder - 150
- Horsing around: Manchester students name police horse - 1
- UPDATE: Elderly man burned in North Hampton camper fire has died - 3
- UPDATE: Windham's Common Man to open for dinner rush despite fire - 2
- Enfield fire leaves one burned - 0
- Driver rescued after Franklin crash, 50-foot plunge - 0
- Children hurt when tire swings falls in Manchester playground - 1
- Camper fire leaves Bridgewater man severely burned - 1
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Road to Recovery helps America's heroes - 0
- Valenti Modified Series back at it - 0
- Seabrook scores in OT to give Blackhawks win, series tie - 0
- Apology issued for naming of Boston bomber as a victim of gun violence at Concord rally - 23
- Hellickson, Rays handcuff Red Sox - 0
- Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air - 0
- Fisher Cats drop second straight - 0
- Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez - 0
- Central High student says he was knocked unconscious; police investigate racial motive - 0
Celtics' Rivers, Ainge meet to clear air
Troubles mount for Patriots' Hernandez
Tax credit math: Who owns your money?
Drones and privacy: Debate just taking off