Home » News » Public Safety
Mother, daughter hurt in Spaulding Highway crash in Dover
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 4 p.m. after hearing that a vehicle overturned in the northbound lane along Route 16 - the Spaulding Turnpike - between the bridge and the tolls.
It turned out the accident happened in the southbound lane just before the bridge, according to Fire Lt. Steve Lesniak. Lesniak said two women - a mother and her adult daughter - were inside the vehicle when it flipped onto the driver's side, entrapping the daughter. He added firefighters were able to rescue the mother through the rear window, but had to stabilize the vehicle and use hydraulic equipment to free the driver.
"We had to cut open the roof and peel it back," Lesniak said, adding it took about 90 minutes to rescue the daughter.
Lesniak said the late-winter storm caused additional problems for emergency personnel.
"It was pretty bad - blowing snow and sleet over everything," Lesniak said, adding firefighters had to protect the two women from the elements while keeping their tools and equipment - especially the stretchers - covered as the snow kept coming.
Lesniak said firefighters were able to keep two of the southbound lanes, including the high-speed lane, open during the process.
He added ambulance crews from Dover and Newington transported the two women, who both sustained non-life threatening injuries, to Portsmouth Regional Hospital.
The identities of the two women had not been released Tuesday afternoon. The accident is being investigated by members of N.H. State Police from Troop A, which patrols Rockingham and Strafford counties.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Merrimack fire quickly doused - 0
- UPDATED: One seriously hurt, 12 homeless after early morning Manchester fire - 0
- Snowmobiler injured while riding on Thornton golf course - 0
- Dartmouth under fire for response to incidents of rape on campus - 0
- NH hospital personnel to train for disasters - 0
- Snowmobiler dies; 4th fatality of season - 0
- Driver seriously injured in Londonderry wreck - 0
- Dover snowmobiler dies in Barnstead crash - 0
- Most property owners clear hydrants of snow - 0
READER COMMENTS: 1
- Katie McQuaid's Scene in Manchester: Parents share what 'CJ' taught them - 0
- Gilford High junior surprised by Francis Wayland Parker honor - 0
- Police bill disputed by Stewartstown and Colebrook ends up in court - 0
- New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay - 0
- Arts-based charter high school in Derry begins accepting applications - 0
- Troy voters accept community center donation - 0
- Voters support Bow School District articles - 0
- License revocations for DWI announced - 0
- Nashua mayor: Greeley Park is right spot for playground - 0
Police at scene of Center Ossipee shooting
New to Nottingham, fire victims plan to stay
Litchfield man found stabbed
Scott Brown's latest step stirs the pot
Hooksett's choices: Leave them to parents
License revocations for DWI announced