Home » News » Public Safety
Mother, daughter hurt in Spaulding Highway crash in Dover
Police, firefighters and emergency personnel responded around 4 p.m. after hearing that a vehicle overturned in the northbound lane along Route 16 - the Spaulding Turnpike - between the bridge and the tolls.
It turned out the accident happened in the southbound lane just before the bridge, according to Fire Lt. Steve Lesniak. Lesniak said two women - a mother and her adult daughter - were inside the vehicle when it flipped onto the driver's side, entrapping the daughter. He added firefighters were able to rescue the mother through the rear window, but had to stabilize the vehicle and use hydraulic equipment to free the driver.
"We had to cut open the roof and peel it back," Lesniak said, adding it took about 90 minutes to rescue the daughter.
Lesniak said the late-winter storm caused additional problems for emergency personnel.
"It was pretty bad - blowing snow and sleet over everything," Lesniak said, adding firefighters had to protect the two women from the elements while keeping their tools and equipment - especially the stretchers - covered as the snow kept coming.
Lesniak said firefighters were able to keep two of the southbound lanes, including the high-speed lane, open during the process.
He added ambulance crews from Dover and Newington transported the two women, who both sustained non-life threatening injuries, to Portsmouth Regional Hospital.
The identities of the two women had not been released Tuesday afternoon. The accident is being investigated by members of N.H. State Police from Troop A, which patrols Rockingham and Strafford counties.
READER COMMENTS: 0
- Answers sought after bomb squad leaves Fitzwilliam - 0
- Nottingham man injured in wagon accident suing Hampton Falls orchard - 1
- Lightning strikes Manchester home, sparks fire - 0
- Asphalt truck overturns in Jaffrey - 0
- Police to educate Manchester motorists on distracted driving - 7
- Bird's nest may have caused house fire in Hudson - 1
- New Ipswich man burned in garage fire, flown to Boston - 0
- Two sustained minor injuries in Rochester crash Sunday - 0
- Boat crash in Tuftonboro investigated - 0
READER COMMENTS: 0
- House votes to ban lead sinkers and jigs over an ounce - 6
- House passes auto dealers bill of rights - 2
- Rochester man facing up to 30 years in prison for brutal assault - 0
- Man who confronts burglar in Nashua gets bit - 0
- Police say Nashua man struck woman with Jeep - 0
- Gambling debate begins following frantic lobbying - 6
- Pease chosen to receive new KC-46A refueling tanker; to bring 100 jobs - 7
- FBI agent kills Florida man during questioning about Marathon bombing suspect - 2
- Police seek man they say passed counterfeit bill at Manchester mall - 1
License revocations for DWI announced
UPDATED: Derry marks a soldier's death
Experts weigh in on UNH logo designs